Cancer....Chameleons...

Thank you for posting these Lynda. I read the first one and will check out the second two. My vet said he is seeing more and more cancer in chameleon's especially melanoma.

I just read them. Very interesting. I wonder if the Panther survived. They didn't say.

Last edited:
I had a panther chameleon that had eye cancer and had to have one eye removed. He did well after and the cancer never came back. The autopsy after his death showed no cancer too. The turret and eyeball were both extremely swollen. The first vet I saw said it was likely an infection but it kept increasing in side even with the treatment so I went back a few days later. Luckily he was away and the vet who saw him did tests and said that there was either a growth behind the eyball or the eyeball contained the growtth. She did the surgery and he came out with no eyeball. He had difficulty hitting the insects for a few days but with my help he figured it out. The vet was amazed at him recovering from the anesthesia and his continued recovery after. She even came to the house to see him one day a few months later.

I had a panther chameleon that had eye cancer and had to have one eye removed. He did well after and the cancer never came back. The autopsy after his death showed no cancer too. The turret and eyeball were both extremely swollen. The first vet I saw said it was likely an infection but it kept increasing in side even with the treatment so I went back a few days later. Luckily he was away and the vet who saw him did tests and said that there was either a growth behind the eyball or the eyeball contained the growtth. She did the surgery and he came out with no eyeball. He had difficulty hitting the insects for a few days but with my help he figured it out. The vet was amazed at him recovering from the anesthesia and his continued recovery after. She even came to the house to see him one day a few months later.

Lynda you never cease to amaze me! Thanks, for the articles, you have helped me learn more about chameleons than any other person I have ever ask for help!

Was it suddenly one day just so much bigger than the other eye or did this happen with time? Like maybe when he was cleaning his eyes during a misting you would notice one of the eyes was having difficulty going back to normal?

It took me a couple of days to be concerned but it came up quite quickly. It was so swollen just before the surgery that I thought it might burst.

Back
Top Bottom