Canadians

Just so you all know, those of us that use iPads, the spell check is murder on these things and often it types what it wants, not what we are actually typing!

Been to Canada more times than I can count since childhood.
First time I went for business, it seemed everyone I met uttered that phrase. Third time, I thought to myself, "Is this an SNL skit?" :unsure:

I'm sure that goes both ways; we probably have & use phrases the rest of the world associates uniquely with Americans.

One summer during high school, I made a hitchhiking trip from (roughly) Detroit to Montreal, staying in youth hostels (don't know if they still have those or not, but it was great). I partnered up with some other kids I met on the road—both Canadian & American—doing the same thing. When we got to Toronto, we met up with some kids from the UK who'd just got off a plane to see both countries. As we were sitting at a sidewalk cafe sampling some of Canada's finer adult beverages (they were a tad lax about proofing us at the time :rolleyes: ) and getting to know each other, one of the British kids asked, "Anyone know where I can get a fag?" [sound of crickets chirping] Fortunately(?) some of us happened to know what he meant—others didn't, but we felt obliged to caution him about that word and using it on this side of The Pond, especially south of the border (and hopefully save someone some grief)... 🤕

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/fag

It turned into a nice (and fun) discussion about Canadian, British, & American slang. :)
Next day, we all toured Ontario Science Center & Casa Loma together.

Why did you learn Latin?
In my school it’s a classical university style school if that makes sense, we have half the week on campus half the week off campus (off campus we still do school) and so since it’s classical we learn Classical Latin ( salve quid ages mihi nomina ______insert name )

In my school it’s a classical university style school if that makes sense, we have half the week on campus half the week off campus (off campus we still do school) and so since it’s classical we learn Classical Latin ( salve quid ages mihi nomina ______insert name )
I’ve been doing Latin about 4 years

Back
Top Bottom