Canada

MattandRicco

Established Member
Hi is anyone here from Canada? I am wondering hiw you regulate yoyr enckoaures enviornment during the winter time.

I have a 4 minth old male veiled chameleon.

Enclosure is screen 2x2x4
T5 high output 5.0
Mistking

Thanks

I’d love to share my experiences. First, with a screen enclosure, I’d put solid plastic sides on three of the four sides. This can be done with shower curtain or some other water/air tight material. You’ll end up with an open front and top, and three sides that keep humidity in. Second, keep in mind that veileds do really well with nightime humidity near 100%, but daytime humidity that drops into the 30% range. So all you have to worry about is getting your nightime humidity up. Using a fogger at night, combined with over-night misting can easily accomplish this. Temps are pretty easy too. Nightime temps for veileds can drop very low; in fact, it’s good for them. Daytime temps in the mid 70’s (21-25 c) are exactly what we find comfortable, so that’s easy. In fact, the more difficult part is dropping the nightime temps low enough.

As for basking, a lot depends on your setup. The best way to go about it is to have a central basking branch set up so your Cham can get temps of 80-85 (26-30c) for three hours a day, say 9am-noon. Sey up your uvb bulb so that when your Cham goes to bask, he also receives the strongest uvb possible (Uvi 3-6), and you basically have a perfect system.

I know this is a lot of info, so let me break it down into a typical day for your Cham:

Let’s assume your uvb bulb (and other t5’s) turns on at 8 am...:

1) at 8 am, your Cham wakes up after sleeping under a gentle fog from your fogger, and drinks a bunch of water off the leaves because you misted at 7:45. (If you don’t have a fogger, you can mist 4 or 5 times overnight for 10-20 seconds)
2) after hydrating, he heads up to the top of the enclosure just in time for your basking lamp to come on (9am) and sits under the basking lamp, warming up, while getting maximum uvb exposure from your uvb lamp.
3) at noon, his basking lamp goes off, and he spends the rest of his day hanging out, patrolling his territory, and looking for food—moving in and out of uvb exposure.
(if you’re really ambitious, you can provide him a dripper between 2 and 4 pm)
4) his uvb lights (And other t5’s) go off at 8 pm, and the cage gets misted for 10 minutes.
5) around midnight, your fogger turns on, and fogs the enclosure until around 4 am. (Or you start misting sessions of 10-20 seconds four or five times)
6) mist for a good 10 minutes a half hour before lights on
7) rinse and repeat

This is what I consider to be good veiled husbandry, but please consult the others tagged for other important opinions and strategies.

I’d love to share my experiences. First, with a screen enclosure, I’d put solid plastic sides on three of the four sides. This can be done with shower curtain or some other water/air tight material. You’ll end up with an open front and top, and three sides that keep humidity in. Second, keep in mind that veileds do really well with nightime humidity near 100%, but daytime humidity that drops into the 30% range. So all you have to worry about is getting your nightime humidity up. Using a fogger at night, combined with over-night misting can easily accomplish this. Temps are pretty easy too. Nightime temps for veileds can drop very low; in fact, it’s good for them. Daytime temps in the mid 70’s (21-25 c) are exactly what we find comfortable, so that’s easy. In fact, the more difficult part is dropping the nightime temps low enough.

As for basking, a lot depends on your setup. The best way to go about it is to have a central basking branch set up so your Cham can get temps of 80-85 (26-30c) for three hours a day, say 9am-noon. Sey up your uvb bulb so that when your Cham goes to bask, he also receives the strongest uvb possible (Uvi 3-6), and you basically have a perfect system.

I know this is a lot of info, so let me break it down into a typical day for your Cham:

1) at 8 am, your Cham wakes up after sleeping under a gentle fog from your fogger, and drinks a bunch of water off the leaves because you misted at 7:45. (If you don’t have a fogger, you can mist 4 or 5 times overnight for 10-20 seconds)
2) after hydrating, he heads up to the top of the enclosure just in time for your basking lamp to come on (9am) and sits under the basking lamp, warming up, while getting maximum uvb exposure from your uvb lamp.
3) at noon, his basking lamp goes off, and he spends the rest of his day hanging out, patrolling his territory, and looking for food—moving in and out of uvb exposure.
4) his uvb lights (And other t5’s) go off at 8 pm, and the cage gets misted for 10 minutes.
5) around midnight, your fogger turns on, and fogs the enclosure until around 4 am. (Or you start misting sessions of 10-20 seconds four or five times)
7) rinse and repeat

This is what I consider to be good veiled husbandry, but please consult the others tagged for other important opinions and strategies.
So! Everything is here haha!;)

your major concern is the humidity during the night i think (heaters is pain in the ass with humidity) so covering some side in your enclosure will help!
where are you located (quebec and Alberta are different in averageclimat management)

your major concern is the humidity during the night i think (heaters is pain in the ass with humidity) so covering some side in your enclosure will help!
where are you located (quebec and Alberta are different in averageclimat management)
I live in montreal so the heaters really dry up the air, so ill def cover 2 sides and the back .

Thank you very much you so much for all the info, you guys have really hekoed me out ? I felt alone while discussing husbandry since most ppl here are from the states with way different climates.

7) rinse and repeat

You've been given some good info already so I really don't need I add anything! Good luck with your chameleon!

Is it ok to have a cool mist humidifier on in the room and not pointing at the enclore at night to help with humidity levels until if install the 2 plastic sides.

Is it ok to have a cool mist humidifier on in the room and not pointing at the enclore at night to help with humidity levels until if install the 2 plastic sides.
I’m not in Canada (only in my dreams) and am in Florida, but I see no reason why you shouldn’t use a humidifier at night to reach proper humidity levels.

Awsome! Yea , you guys have had it pretty rough over the last couple years, hopefully it gets better in the near future ❤
Even if it does get better (fingers and toes crossed), it’s still hot as hades here. I’m a transplanted New Englander and just haven’t been able to adjust to the heat.

Even if it does get better (fingers and toes crossed), it’s still hot as hades here. I’m a transplanted New Englander and just haven’t been able to adjust to the heat.
Oh so you know about the cold winters haha, I mean im not a fan of only having 3 real mknths of summer but Id be lying if I said I did not live my winters!

Oh so you know about the cold winters haha, I mean im not a fan of only having 3 real mknths of summer but Id be lying if I said I did not live my winters!
Oh yes! I know cold winters very well! Lol. I don’t miss spending hours shoveling the driveway only for the plow to come as soon as I’m done and deposit a wall of snow where I just cleared. But I do miss the beauty of snow, the cold, springtime, leaves changing color, mountains, etc etc etc.

The issue with humidifiers in Canada in winter is that they can cause mood and thus damage your house....so you need to be careful.

The issue with humidifiers in Canada in winter is that they can cause mood and thus damage your house....so you need to be careful.
For sure but its only on at night(or early am lol) from 12am-6am.

During the day their is no humidifier on

Back
Top Bottom