Can you breed brother and sister panther chameleon?

Line breeding is pretty common in many reptile breeding programs. How do you think they’ve expressed so many different morphs of ball pythons or leopard geckos? In reality these “color morphs” are all genetic defects, or mutations expressed through line breeding. In reptiles this does not immediately impact overall health. However, it will eventually (generational timeline is not known) result in weakened animals. The most robust, healthy individuals are the result of strong, fresh genetics. It is not recommended in the chameleon world as there are no real mutations found in chameleons anyway. I personally would avoid it.

Good post^

Where do you think a lot of these wild looking Panthers come from? It's pretty common from what I've seen in the chameleon hobby, but I don't know enough about breeding to argue the ethics of it.

Not to throw anyone under the bus, but I know the kammers breed daughter to father at least. They've mentioned it before, I love their chameleons and they seem to know what they're doing though.

It is not recommended in the chameleon world as there are no real mutations found in chameleons anyway. I personally would avoid it.

Meant to quote this part, I thought that's where a lot of these ultra blue/purple ambanjas came from? Also the resting yellow body ambilobes?

No intent to argue at all, I dont know much about breeding. Only going off what I heard

In some mammals yes, direct offspring can be effected. I’ve treated humans who are the result of insest and they do in fact show signs of mental delay. Reptiles are not necessarily subject to first generation decline, yet I still would not recommend it. As far as increased color, these are not mutations, and are the result of both line and selective breeding. Captive animals will always show more healthy robust colors due to improved nutrition and lack of stress(of course this requires good husbandry as a base). Line breeding is to thank for our variety of canids and felines. Similar to reptiles, they may have a higher tolerance to line breeding technique. Breeders of these animals do know the importance of outcrossing fresh genetics though.

Thanks for all the responses , I was really just curious curious . I've heard of people doing it to keep strong genetics. But was personally just curious

Thanks for all the responses , I was really just curious curious . I've heard of people doing it to keep strong genetics. But was personally just curious
very great question, no harm no foul. Honestly im no scientist or have any degree in anything to make me someone reputable but id take advice from alot of people here who have had Chameleons for years.

A 20 year breeder friend of mine told me in the beginning he tried that and said about half of the first clutch was negatively affected, most infertile and had various other problems, to ensure that inbreeding was the problem and not a husbandry mishap, he got his best color male and bred with sister, the second clutch was a disaster, he realized then that was futile, some were deformed, some had bad health problems, organ failures and the ones that did make it didn't live very long, although he did get the color he was looking for in a few males that made it.... I hope you read this and understand

Never heard of deformation from inbreeding chameleons or other reptiles before.That's a new one on me. Thanks for input. My buddy breeds brother and sister and so forth and has had some beautiful healthy baby's for years . he has also had 100% hatch rate. I guess all chams are different.

Never heard of deformation from inbreeding chameleons or other reptiles before.That's a new one on me. Thanks for input. My buddy breeds brother and sister and so forth and has had some beautiful healthy baby's for years . he has also had 100% hatch rate. I guess all chams are different.
Is there any chanse that you would share with me who this buddy is? I just do not want to accidentally add any of his babies to my breeding stock!!! I would appreciate it sincerely!

Back
Top Bottom