Can someone help tell me what is wrong?

wr01360

I noticed my pit veiled chameleon had its claw bent and pulled out. It's been a week or two but it's still not healed. It almost looks fleshy and is turning brown.
Cham 1.jpg
Cham 2.jpg
Cham 3.jpg
Cham 4.jpg

Hi and welcome! It’s hard for me to tell what foot exactly you’re trying to show. I see a couple nails that look brown and then there looks like part of his foot is split open. Can you show a good pic of just the toe or foot that’s effected? Do you have any twine hammocks or ladders in your enclosure with him that he may be climbing on? This is what many times pulls chams nails out.

That looks bad! Could u plz fill out this form

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

That looks bad! Could u plz fill out this form

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
This will not help right now. They need a vet asap. Then if they want to come back and do a husbandry review we can help them further.

This will not help right now. They need a vet asap. Then if they want to come back and do a husbandry review we can help them further.
Well yea two people aready said this (u and lindasjackson) so they have that information but my guess is that they can’t get in IMMEDIATELY probably like tomorrow so they would have time to fill this out so people can determine if their is anything that can help. Btw I had that message filled out but then I had to get ready for football then I sent this not seeing ur responses. Btw OP I’m not saying u don’t need a vet but it would help to fill this form if u have time

Well yea two people aready said this (u and lindasjackson) so they have that information but my guess is that they can’t get in IMMEDIATELY probably like tomorrow so they would have time to fill this out so people can determine if their is anything that can help. Btw I had that message filled out but then I had to get ready for football then I sent this not seeing ur responses. Btw OP I’m not saying u don’t need a vet but it would help to fill this form if u have time
Literally nothing we can do to fix this. Swelling indicates infection. Husbandry is secondary at this point because this is an open wound. Open wounds have to have vet care.

Literally nothing we can do to fix this. Swelling indicates infection. Husbandry is secondary at this point because this is an open wound. Open wounds have to have vet care.
Yes nothing WE can do to fix this problem currently but we CAN help prevent more of of the same problems in the FUTURE

Let’s not scare this person away by aguring but

@wr01360 Priority here is a Vet. If you tell us where you live we might be able to recommend one. And you can look at this site. https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

This is exposed flesh with swelling on a foot. So where he walks through poop and all sorts of bacteria. Not something that can sit and wait. Risk is the cham declining really rapidly if left untreated.

We can do a husbandry review for you. But this will not do anything to treat the foot which is a major concern right now.

Last edited:
@wr01360 Priority here is a Vet. If you tell us where you live we might be able to recommend one. And you can look at this site. https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

This is exposed flesh with swelling on a foot. So where he walks through poop and all sorts of bacteria. Not something that can sit and wait. Risks is the cham declining really rapidly if left untreated.

We can do a husbandry review for you. But this will not do anything to treat the foot which is a major concern right now.

In cases of infection it's important to clean out the infected area as well as put the chameleon on an antibiotic. The chameleon's pus is like cottage cheese and isn't usually able to be penetrated by the antibiotic. . Also, to determine the right antibiotic a culture and sensitivity test should be done on the pus.

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)(y)(y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom