can someone calm my nerves?

Carlemeleon

My 20month old female panther is laying (unfertile) eggs for the first time. She started digging 4 days ago but didn't like the bin I provided. I followed the tutorial on this site & replaced it. She started digging yesterday I peeked & saw her in her tunnel. (she didn't see me b/c I have her cage covered. I've been trying not to bother her but I'm so worried that its been taking so long! I just got home from class & thinking she would be done laying & need nutrition I peeked again for a split second. She was still in her tunnel but she saw me! I hope she still lays them... Seriously worried sick!

I think you are fine, she seeing you wont be a problem. The only problem is if her hole caves in if you didnt get the dirt mix right. Then she will take even more time digging another hole.

PS she is going to be really really thirsty when she is done.

It can take a while, each girl is different! If you like you can read my thread about my first time dealing with eggs :) it's the link at the bottom of my post.

Miss Lily's Chameleon took a full 3 days to dig and lay. Digging is aways a good sign, it's when she stops digging and is still full of eggs that you have a problem. She'll finish, don't worry!

Just peeked in & she's a skinny Minnie filling in her tunnel!
Now how long should I wait before misting her off and should I offer crickets? It's 4pm here thank you all for your support ;-)

When she wants out(after she burries) give her a good shower and put her to bed. Some can be retentive so dont disturb her till she fills in the hole and starts wanting out.

The trick here is don't worry and let nature take it's course! She knows what she is doing and will do just fine. When Tilly laid her first clutch I was worried sick and when she had finished I was like 'oh what was all the fuss about!'

My female veiled just laid her first clutch of 46 eggs and was in her covered cage for 2 weeks with a bin, I got worried and posted too, but after a few more days she did it!!! Everyone reasurred me that it will just take some time so I waited and then she did, don't worry it will happen:)

Once she covers up her hole and climbs up to a branch, you can go ahead and mist/feed/palpate/whatever. Be sure to feed her well for a few days, and then cut back again to try and decrease her likelihood of laying again.

Back
Top Bottom