Can someone advise please?

tawny

Hi, I haven't been here in an age so I know how cheeky it is for me to ask for help now. BUT I really do need it. I keep Carpet Chameleons,F.lateralis. My first clutch of eggs laid 2/4/07 have started to hatch this morning, so far 2 perfect neonates have emerged BUT one baby was born fully formed, not defected in any way however it came from the egg with its tiny tongue extended way out and after opening one eye promptly died,This is devastating to me as apart from various species of Pygmy Chams, this is my first experience of anything bigger.
I live in the UK and sadly this species is not a popular choice here for some reason, to trying to find any info at all is very hard.Please forgive my rudeness in ot being part of your forum and then turning up begging for help. Thankyou
Love Tawny

Hi, I don't keep the lat lats but I do have lat majors. I'm sure you already know that hatching the two you've already had is not as common as panthers or veileds, so congrats! I hope they do very well for you. I think it was FlChams who said carpets have really hardy babies.

Considering that the first 2 have emerged and look good, I'd not beat yourself up about the poor little one that didn't make it. It must've been something that would not have been preventable. Definitely a bummer, though. How many eggs are left now?

Welcome back, and I'm sure we'd love to see pics of the babies and parents sometime.

Thankyou all

Thanks so much for the advice where to seek help, its much appreciated. When I last looked in the hatching tub at 7.30 pm, I have another hatchling which has his head out so he will be out and about tomorrrow I hope.From this clutch I have a further 7 that are looking as if they are ready to pip, but I also have 4 other tubs filled with eggs in various stages of incubation- that is some are in the cooling down stage and some are at the temp for optimum hatching.I also have the livebearing species, 2 of which - the Rudis and the Hoehnelli are due to give birth within the next week.
I am still puzzled as to why that baby died with his tongue extended, but with all living things- wheres there life theres death also.I will try to post photos but as I a rule I am generally rubbish at that.The hatchlings are a dark rusty red and the circles along the flanks are quite visable, they are chunky little things with incredibly long slender tails. Once again thankyou I appreciate your help. Since I told the Chameleon folk here in the UK I have received 7 enquiries asking if the babies are for sale!! They are not readily available here in the Uk at all which is suprising as they are such attractive little things but I think its the life span- woefully short which makes them unattractive to UK folk.
Love tawny

Whoa. One of the other mods just directed me to your photo contest entry and other gallery uploads. Those are Giant carpets, Furcifer lateralis major. There is another member from this forum who keeps and I believe breeds this subspecies in the UK. I think her username is "Karen." You might want to get a hold of her and see if she's interested in trading you bloodlines, etc.

Congrats again! I hope you have more good news about further hatchlings to report shortly. :D

Hi Kent , When I bought these I did enquire as to the species ie Major or Minor, I was told and always beleived them to be Minors due to the overall size of the adults and colouration compared to Majors, That Karen here in the UK has Majors as when the Chams were growing we often compared the differences hers have definate "lipstick" on their mouths as mine do not. Just yesterday I have found a breeder who has CB Minor females from last year so a swap could be made in the near future. I am now proud mummy to 4 hatclings and the size difference in just 24 hours is totally amazing, Considering that this species is the only Chams apart from Pygmys that I have bred I am totally delighted so far, the Livebearers are great fun to breed but I do like the eggs even though this first clutch has taken 10 months to hatch. I did buy an incubator that can run either hot or cold and firmly beleive this contributed to the eggs hatching as I do know 2 others who tried to incubate at the same constant temps for many months and the eggs spoiled.Haven't seen the babies eat yet but they are drinking and are very active, interestingly I have also noted the 1st signs of aggression, the first born actually gaped at the newcomers when introduced so my job this afternoon is to make up several small enclosures as I would rather split them now before any real trouble starts!
Thankyou for your interest its hard to find anyone in ther UK totally enthusiastic about anything other than Panthers or Veileds these days although the Mellors are gaining popularity. My next purchase must be a pair of Merus- but again tracking a genuine CB un related pair here will not be easy.
Love tawny

Back
Top Bottom