Can my cham eat carrots? Vitamin A deficiency

ashie

My 4 month old chameleon currently has a vitamin a deficiency and which has made it hard for him to see and there for he’s not eating the dubia roaches, i’m syringe feeding him now to make sure he’s eating and getting vitamins and I’ve read that carrots are good for gutloading, I was wondering if it’s okay to purée carrots and syringe feed him them straight? (they’re canned carrots if that makes a difference)

Carrots contain beta carotene. It has to be converted to useable vitamin A and its not known for sure if chameleons can convert it or not.

Watch that you don't get anything into his lungs when syringe feeding him.

Your chameleon has had eye issues for quite a while, hasn't it?

Unfortunately yes the eye thing has been a while even after multiple vet visits. I’m trying to purée some food for him so I can make sure he’s getting nutrients but I don’t know what to give him. I have canned carrots but just discovered they’re salted so I’m going to get something else so if you have any suggestions that I’ll find at a grocery store please let me know!

Unfortunately yes the eye thing has been a while even after multiple vet visits. I’m trying to purée some food for him so I can make sure he’s getting nutrients but I don’t know what to give him. I have canned carrots but just discovered they’re salted so I’m going to get something else so if you have any suggestions that I’ll find at a grocery store please let me know!
I sometimes use carrots as apart of my gut loading, fresh ones from the produce section. I shed them and usually mix with a majority of kale greens, but the crickets really love them. Before I supplement, I can see the orange in their stomachs when my reptiles eat them lol. It may seem small but it’s a safe options to adding into their diet versus the syringe (if I’m wrong, please correct me)

Hi i was helping you in the other thread. The main things you need to fix are your lights and supplements and that should help a lot with your guys deficiency.
Thank you so much Haley, what lights do you recommend? I could go up to 100watt or even 150 I just don’t want it to be too bright!

Back
Top Bottom