Can I use regular tap water?

KRuehle

I understand that the calcium can clog up automatic misting systems, however I'll be using a hand pump sprayer and a big dripper to start out. Will regular tap water be ok in this situation?

If you treat it with a product like Repti-Safe to de-chlorinate it should be fine.

Be aware it can and will stain your enclosure and plants especially if your tap water has a high TDS level.

If you treat it with a product like Repti-Safe to de-chlorinate it should be fine.

Be aware it can and will stain your enclosure and plants especially if your tap water has a high TDS level.
Would one of those water dispensers at the grocery store be a better idea? I believe the brand is glacier water?

I understand that the calcium can clog up automatic misting systems, however I'll be using a hand pump sprayer and a big dripper to start out. Will regular tap water be ok in this situation?
You know, this topic comes up so often...doing a forum search would bring up all sorts of threads. But once again, here's the gist:

The key is finding out what your tap water is treated with. Chlorine, chloramine, fluorides, etc. Call your municipal water utility to find out. If its treated with chlorine, you can leave a bucket of it out overnight and the chlorine gas will dissipate. Then you can use it. If its treated with chloramines, you will need to treat it with a product like ReptiSafe. This will neutralize the chloramine so you can use it. If your water is hard, then yes, the calcium or other minerals will tend to clog misting system nozzles over time. Its pretty easy to avoid however. You can run a cycle of vinegar through the system periodically. That will dissolve the mineral deposits. Hard water can be from any source including so-called "spring water" that could be sold by the bottle. Most people prefer the taste of "hard" water. The minerals are not harmful.

You could buy reverse osmosis filtered water from an aquarium supply.

I used to live in Hamilton Ohio, there put a gallon of water out, let it sit a day and I used to change water for Discus, here in Florida where I live now, you could let it sit for a month and it would probably kill your animals over a period of time (tap water that is). I use spring water now for spraying/tads/animals but in Ohio I would be using aged tap water. Dechlor agents do a good job but you have to know what is in your water, they eliminate some chemicals but not others....you know those chemicals that keep a tadpole a tadpole for 100 days it never develops past a certain stage, oh yea permatads, they lived here once. Good luck but err on the side of caution.

Another consideration to keep in mind... In addition to clogging a misting system, hard water can also cause buildup to accumulate on the walls of a screen enclosure.

You know, this topic comes up so often...doing a forum search would bring up all sorts of threads.

I just don't understand this attitude on forums. If people only asked questions that had never been asked, most forums would be ghost towns.

All I was suggesting is that someone do a search for information before asking about something as basic as tap water. They may get more ideas faster instead of waiting for responses. If web forums didn't have the ability to archive threads, create sticky messages, and develop FAQs or husbandry articles they wouldn't be very helpful would they?

I like to go by the rule: if you can drink (reliably) on your tap water then it is safe. I use NYC tap water for a couple of years now and it works fine. You could also add a filter to your sink or the one from mistking.com

I like to go by the rule: if you can drink (reliably) on your tap water then it is safe. I use NYC tap water for a couple of years now and it works fine. You could also add a filter to your sink or the one from mistking.com
i use RO water for my mistking and tap water for when i use a dripper

The only problem with this rule is that some water treatment chemicals can be bad for herps. That's why we remove them. Chlorine is easily removed by letting the water age overnight in an open bucket. Chloramines have to be chemically neutralized.

The only problem with this rule is that some water treatment chemicals can be bad for herps. That's why we remove them. Chlorine is easily removed by letting the water age overnight in an open bucket. Chloramines have to be chemically neutralized.
Have you heard of glacier water? Those machines where you can refill 5 gallon bottles at? Would that be acceptable for chams?

No. Ironically I live near real glaciers and never see something like this. "Glacier water" is probably just a brand name. If you are lucky they'll list any additives or treatments they use (such as plain old chlorine). It probably has minerals in it which isn't bad and depends on the water source. Most "spring water" is naturally fairly hard. You will just have to watch for hard water deposits in mister nozzles. They can be dissolved with vinegar.

I just don't understand this attitude on forums. If people only asked questions that had never been asked, most forums would be ghost towns.
Being on this forum as long as I've been I get the frustration of the redundant questions. However looking, and wading through all the unnecessary stuff to get the answers you need can sometime be quite daunting, and can see how just asking the question is way more productive, and quick. So what's the answer I just don't know that's why I'll try to answer if I can.

Everyone entitled for their own opinions,there shouldn't be any judgement,if you dont like the idea people suggesting,just move on to the next,cause you will always make your own decisions at the end!!

I live in socal and so after realizing even filtered with reptavite my chams were not doing well, soon as I switched to purified they re doing great, it really depends on your area

Back
Top Bottom