can i keep chameleons outdoor in tropical climate

Hi,
I am new to chameleons. I am planning to get a veiled chameleon. After doing lots of research, I have seen many posting regarding keeping chameleons outdoor.Here in Malaysia, we have a tropical weather year long, only classified into dry and monsoon season. Temperatures here are aprrox. 36 degree celcius at the highest and 24 at the lowest. I know this is a much debated issue of keeping a chameleon outdoor. I am planning to build a DIY flexarium/cage for it to be kept outdoor. I am not giving it direct sunlight in the afternoon except for morning and evening. So I have tried asking the sales assistant but she says that they cannot be kept outdoor and shows me types of lights (uva,uvb,basking). This puzzles me even more when I read some article which says nothing can beat sunlight for synthesis of vitamin d3. According to her, she says I may try but she can't garantee anything as she claims that the weather is too hot. I am keeping it in my porch where it is 25-29 celcius and only bring it outside during morning for 5 hours of good uv absorbtion and allow it to bask under 4-5pm sunlight for aid in digestion. I needed help urgently....my mind is gonna blow..... any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm a noob to chams but you can keep Chams outdoors and many members on here do so. However, the temperatures you list seem a bit high for a veiled cham and I'm guessing the humidity levels will also be in the high range for a veiled as well. You could do a outdoor setup for part of the time and an indoor setup for when it gets too hot outside. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in but I see no reason why you couldn't do it for a part time enclosure.

I think keeping Chameleons outside is great. Many people don't because the weather where they live is too hot or too cold too often. If you have a housing set up that allows for you chameleon to thermoregulate and pay close attention to how your Chameleon is reacting to it's environment you should be fine. Providing shade, water and dense foliage is very important. Yemen's can handle higher temps than most other common Chameleons. Building a good size cage is a good idea if housing outside. It allows the Chameleon to move to areas within the cage that suit it's current needs.

Since your humidity is high and the temps are pretty spot on you should not has an issue. The biggest concern is natural predators like larger cats and birds that may be sneaky and try to prey on them while you aren't looking. You want to make sure nothing can get into the enclosure. So you will want to avoid the enclosure being on the ground. You will want a heavier duty screen if you can get your hands on some.I would suggest 2 layers of chicken wire. Make the base and then off set the second layer so the hole sizes are reduced. You will also want a frame heavy enough to not me knocked over by any wind you can also add large rocks in the bottom to weigh it down if need be.

Since your humidity is high and the temps are pretty spot on you should not has an issue. The biggest concern is natural predators like larger cats and birds that may be sneaky and try to prey on them while you aren't looking. You want to make sure nothing can get into the enclosure. So you will want to avoid the enclosure being on the ground. You will want a heavier duty screen if you can get your hands on some.I would suggest 2 layers of chicken wire. Make the base and then off set the second layer so the hole sizes are reduced. You will also want a frame heavy enough to not me knocked over by any wind you can also add large rocks in the bottom to weigh it down if need be.

yeah, i agree with that, we do have sneaky predators like civet cats besides cats and predatory birds

Back
Top Bottom