can he eat these?

Millz&Jukka

Avid Member
hi just wondering about a box of crickets i got from a store i've never bought from before. I bought a tub of black crickets and i'm not sure if he can eat them. Normally gets locusts but i thought i'd change it up a bit.

Can but black crickets tend to nibble on your chameleon.so don't leave em in there.

Also I don't think locust is a good staple and 'chaning it up a bit' should be their normal diet. This will also help you when your chameleon decides he had enough locust for a while. There's plenty of feeders available, shipped to your home if needed. Variety is the spice of life.

You can give them black crickets but they are aggressive so make sure there of food to go around others they'll find something else to eat (other crickets or your chameleon). I would definitely not leave them in the cage though when it's bed time or whatever.

Can but black crickets tend to nibble on your chameleon.so don't leave em in there.

Also I don't think locust is a good staple and 'chaning it up a bit' should be their normal diet. This will also help you when your chameleon decides he had enough locust for a while. There's plenty of feeders available, shipped to your home if needed. Variety is the spice of life.
what makes black crickets tend to nibble on them more than regular crickets?

Black crickets are a type of field cricket that the Chinese use (a different subspecies (?) but still the same general type) for cricket fighting. They are severely aggressive and are prized for size/weight/aggression etc. Most cricket fights don't end up as actually physically dangerous, but that's because the people remove them before they can be. The species of black field cricket they use are super territorial (males) and the males will fight each other to the death if the loser cannot escape safely.

Usually with black field crickets they consume huge amounts of high energy foods, do better with higher protein levels in their diet (though it doesn't have to be from animal protein), and are territorial. All this adds up to not being good as a feeder. They are high cost animals to use as a feeder. I have kept them for fun, but they have huge mandibles (for the way they dispute territories) and getting bit by them is not fun

Back
Top Bottom