Can Dubias replace crickets?

LuisMerc

Just curious to see what you guys think. Id like to replace my Chams main source of food from crickets to Dubias. Is it possible to still give him all the nutrients he needs with Dubias and occasionally sillworms/hornworms? Also, other than carrots what can i gutload my feeders with? Thank you in advance!

Just curious to see what you guys think. Id like to replace my Chams main source of food from crickets to Dubias. Is it possible to still give him all the nutrients he needs with Dubias and occasionally sillworms/hornworms? Also, other than carrots what can i gutload my feeders with? Thank you in advance!
Many people don’t feed there chams crickets. I don’t feed my cham crickets, but I provide a variety of dubias, black soldier fly larvae, and whatever else I have on hand at the time.

Many people don’t feed there chams crickets. I don’t feed my cham crickets, but I provide a variety of dubias, black soldier fly larvae, and whatever else I have on hand at the time.
Thats great to hear. Not only do crickets die easily but they stink and attract the worst type of flies no matter how well i clean them. At least from my experiences so far. Maybe im doing something wrong idk? Just tired of them at this point.

Thats great to hear. Not only do crickets die easily but they stink and attract the worst type of flies no matter how well i clean them. At least from my experiences so far. Maybe im doing something wrong idk? Just tired of them at this point.

Nah thats just crickets unless you clean their bin every day. I switched to about 5 different roaches and i love them compared to crickets. No smell or die off...

On a side note i wouldnt touch the roaches at first. Now i let them climb all over my hands when getting them! Also out of my 5 colonies i cant bare to feed off my deathheads...i have gotten attached to them and love how they look and act... K i need a therapist i realize that now..crap
20200602_232102.jpg

On a side note i wouldnt touch the roaches at first. Now i let them climb all over my hands when getting them! Also out of my 5 colonies i cant bare to feed off my deathheads...i have gotten attached to them and love how they look and act... K i need a therapist i realize that now..crap
View attachment 271885
Dude that’s awesome!!! Def a first for me. I need to open up my variety of feeders I’ve been sticking to the most common feeders. I appreciate the info

Roaches are actually a more nutritious feeder than crickets as they hold on to the gut loading longer. Plus they are cleaner and quieter. Definitely need to add much more to your gut loading. This should help.
84BF11AF-2E4E-41C9-B913-F05D85C13C3B.jpeg

I use organic as much as possible. Along with fresh greens and veggies, I also use Bug Burger that I’ve added a bit of bee pollen and spirulina to.

Roaches are actually a more nutritious feeder than crickets as they hold on to the gut loading longer. Plus they are cleaner and quieter. Definitely need to add much more to your gut loading. This should help. View attachment 271886
I use organic as much as possible. Along with fresh greens and veggies, I also use Bug Burger that I’ve added a bit of bee pollen and spirulina to.
THANK YOU!!!! Lol I’ve always wondered what else i can feed my feeders. This is great.

Some people have a hard time getting thier cham to take dubias because they don't move around much but there are many other varieties of roaches to choose from. I don't feed crickets and probably won't unless for some reason it is the only thing available.

Im from FL but i actually live in GA right now so I’ve been ordering Dubias occasionally.

Which type of roach do you recommend that move the most?

I like red runners a lot, but many others are freaked out by them. Discoids, orangeheads/any of the eublaberus genus, pycnoscelus genus are decent feeders too(embers, shadow, surinam, etc)... really tons of options out there.

THANK YOU!!!! Lol I’ve always wondered what else i can feed my feeders. This is great.
I didn't see anyone mention them specifically, but when your cham is large enough, you might consider some superworms—not as a staple, but for variety. Lizards seem to love 'em (but be aware they can be addicting to some lizards). EZ to keep at room temp, no smell or noise. ;)

Back
Top Bottom