Can Dubia and crickets be kept in the same containers?

broderp

Avid Member
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if Dubia and crickets can be kept in the same container.
  • I am not looking to breed either feeder.
  • I am looking at keeping primarily nymphs and 1/2" banded crickets only
  • I plan on gut loading them the same
    • Cricket Crack
    • Rapashy Bug Burger
    • Fresh veggies (occasionally)
My Cham (almost 6 months old) currently eats 15-20 crickets a day. So this is about 250 crickets every two weeks. I buy 250 crickets from Josh's Frogs every two weeks.

My thoughts are that is I "mix it up" and give him both feeders, I would still need the same amount of feeders and I could stretch out ordering to once a month. Not only would this save on shipping, but give Sherman a nicer healthier variety of food.

The banded crickets are fairly clean and so far I have had no odor issues. Dubias I read are also clean and odor free as well.

The reason for keeping them together is for simplicity. I assume the dubias will crawl and hide in the tubes with the crickets. When I go to shake some into the dusting container, I will gat a random selection of crickets and Dubias.

Will this work or am I looking a gang turf war between the "Cricks" and the "Dubes" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ha! yes, quite possibly. That would actually be kind of interesting. From the dubia point of view, it would be like a horror movie. "The attack of the crazy roach-eating monster"

I may try this, in a small test group. Maybe 100 crickets to 50 Dubias.....I'll have to plan the logistic of this and where to keep the other crickets....maybe I'll just buy 1/2 the crickets along with a small batch of Dubias this next go around. My next order is coming up on Thurday....

Actually they will eat ANY dubia that molts, and dubia nymphs go through many molts as youngsters, so when they are freshly molted crickets will have no issue with eating them... it will likely lead to 50 dubias within a couple down to maybe 35-40, trust me your dubia nymphs will not just randomly start producing babies, they have to be full grown adults.

Actually they will eat ANY dubia that molts, and dubia nymphs go through many molts as youngsters, so when they are freshly molted crickets will have no issue with eating them... it will likely lead to 50 dubias within a couple down to maybe 35-40, trust me your dubia nymphs will not just randomly start producing babies, they have to be full grown adults.

That's what I want, NO BABIES. :) Not looking to breed, just keep for feeding. Reorder every few weeks...repeat.

yeah but it doesn't make sense to house the crickets with the dubias because they will just eat the ones you plan to feed off. It's what crickets do. That's the sad thing. And I can't think of a large enough container that comes with tubes that is big enough for that number of insects... do you have a rubbermaid that has provided that? Insect keeping doesn't save on space.

In my head that doesn't make sense at all. why would you just reorder more Dubia when you can just breed then and save money?

Because I can. ;)

I am very busy, and I streamline all my processes.

• Spring is here, so there is lots of yard work (we own two homes) and weekends are filled with house work, other projects around he house, family times, other pets among other things.

• I don't want to handle or sort these. I also definitely don't want any large ones that will freak out my wife as she is scared of bugs.

• The cost to buy these in minimal. If I can just feed them well and fed them off to my panther, I'm fine placing and order for new ones every 2 weeks.

Keep it simple..(y)

Last edited:
Hey I am not thinking you should breed them *shrugs* if you buy larger nymphs that's the only size you have to worry about in the next couple weeks to the next month of molting in to an adult dubia especially without optimum conditions for it. As far as medium roach nymph sizes they can take anywhere from 2 months to 4 months, even longer. Trust me don't worry about them producing babies.

Hey I am not thinking you should breed them *shrugs* if you buy larger nymphs that's the only size you have to worry about in the next couple weeks to the next month of molting in to an adult dubia especially without optimum conditions for it. As far as medium roach nymph sizes they can take anywhere from 2 months to 4 months, even longer. Trust me don't worry about them producing babies.

I guess we will find out. Tomorrow is my order day for Saturday delivery.

Do let us know how it goes.
I use one heating mat for both containers but have never mixed the two. If you ever get black crickets don't mix them in they eat everything.

Well I got my order today. The Dubia are tiny. I've already lost my "fear" of handling them, but I wash my hands like crazy after I touch one. (y)

I'm going to get a separate small container to keep the test batch of crickets and Dubia rather than chance my entire population of 50. So for now they are separated.

Lots going on with the Cham today, lots of testing mister settings, fans, new bugs to store and feed and of course, its super worm weekend! I'm also needing to weigh and work on trust issues with Sherman....

Any update on how it went? I'm planning on combining the two for my babies cause I'm lazy and don't want to have another container colony of bugs. I already never hear the end of it when my guest find my cricket colony lol

Back
Top Bottom