can coil uvb bulbs cause problems for chameleons???

doesnt chameleons need uvb??

Yes they need UVB, but some lamp models produce more than others. I think he meant don't use that specific Arcadia UVB Plus bulb. It might be for desert species not chams.

I prefer ReptiSun 5.0 tube lights, have used them for many years and they just work. As mentioned above the tube light reaches more of the cage which I like as well.

It isn't that long ago that there were issues with CFLs. And they still have high levels of UVB up close. For young chams, they are not a good idea. Young chameleons climb on the top of cages and can be sitting too close being exposed to high levels of UV rays.

According to solarmeter readings it does not appear that way. In this thread a Brand new reptiglo 5.0 Compact measured 50 at 2". I've seen readings of 150-200 in the shade outside. So that really doesn't seem like too much to me. And the problem with the old defective bulbs was that they gave off dangerous UVC rays.

Unless you are selling CFLs I am not sure why you would pump them. Linear fixtures provide a better coverage of light over a cage than a single source such as a CFL.

I'm not selling anything. And while you are correct about getting better coverage with a linear, the CFLs can still be successfully used and should remain an option, especially if new equipment can't be afforded. It is better than nothing, and if they can thrive (not just survive) under them then I just wanted people to know they can be a valid option after so many people said how horrible they are. If an animal can thrive under them then I wouldn't say they're so horrible. Chris Anderson uses a lot of CFLs. I used them for my chams too.

Zilla does have the worst record so I never recommend theirs.

According to solarmeter readings it does not appear that way. In this thread a Brand new reptiglo 5.0 Compact measured 50 at 2". I've seen readings of 150-200 in the shade outside. So that really doesn't seem like too much to me. And the problem with the old defective bulbs was that they gave off dangerous UVC rays.

Sure, a reading outside yields a high UVB reading on the meter. BUT, a chameleon does not sit in direct sun light all day long. They will warm up in morning sun and then move for the shade. You should try reading the UVB in the shade for a more accurate reading of what a chameleon is exposed to.

There was a study done on the UVB exposure needed, and forgive me for not remembering the persons name. But the study called for 15μW/cm2. Now the author thinks more like 35-45μW/cm2 I think.

I have taken many readings with my meter and shown lots of results in threads I have started on this forum.

I'm not selling anything. And while you are correct about getting better coverage with a linear, the CFLs can still be successfully used and should remain an option, especially if new equipment can't be afforded. It is better than nothing, and if they can thrive (not just survive) under them then I just wanted people to know they can be a valid option after so many people said how horrible they are. If an animal can thrive under them then I wouldn't say they're so horrible. Chris Anderson uses a lot of CFLs. I used them for my chams too.

Zilla does have the worst record so I never recommend theirs.

I think it is fine to suggest to someone who already has a CFL that it is OK to use, as long as it is a 'safe' one. But I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out and buy them if they don't have any equipment yet. I am not saying people should stop using them this second, but that you should think twice when it is time to replace it.

Ya know....

I think that there are lots of situations and some situations might make a compact fluorescent the better choice.

The board standard recommendation is a UVB tube with an incandescent heat bulb.

But there's a lot of room for variance there and recognizing that is not a bad thing at all.

Back
Top Bottom