Can chams can stunt their own growth ? (shedding pics)

sallyb

Avid Member
Hi, i hope i have not posted twice as i cannot remember if i pressed submit last time - sorry if i have. Trust me :rolleyes:

I just wondered if anyone knows as we put Gizzy in her new 6ft+ enclosure on Saturday and she seems to have had a big growth spurt. She is shedding also which she had not done for about 3 months. We just wondered if she had restricted her growth due to the tank size or whether this is coincidence.

She has taken to the new home like a duck to water and has been exploring ever since i have included a couple of pics taken yesterday and one of her attempt to scale the cupboard, lol.

Attachments

• Down in the mouth.JPG
    Down in the mouth.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Down in the dumps.JPG
    Down in the dumps.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00158.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 179
Stunting from tank/enclosure size is usually reserved for fish. Stunting for them means that the outside body and skeleton remain the same size wile the internal organs continue to grow. It's a slow painful death for the animal.

Reptiles I believe can stunt, but it's normally from something lacking in their diet. I'm pretty sure stunting for them just means they don't grow. So no I doubt your guy stunted from being in a smaller enclosure. It's probably just a coincidence that he hit a growth spurt after being moved into his new home.

How old is Gizzy now? Maybe her growth rate has slowed down if she is an adult, therefore her shedding cycle will slow down also. Lily used to shed every 3 months from 6 months of age until she died. I would think that it's probably just a coincidence that she's shedding right now - she was probably due one anyway.

Thanks guys i guess it was just a coincidence. Gizzy is 8 months old now and her growth has slowed a lot it just seemed really odd that she shed as soon as we changed her enclosure. She seems very happy in her new house so it was definitely a worthwhile outlay. :)

Back
Top Bottom