Can Chamelsons eat these?

sarahog

There are these red flying insects, I'm not sure what they are but they are always flying around light posts at my house, I'm wondering if Chams can eat them? Sort of look like a big, long, flying ant. Does anyone know what they are called? I have a big fat alligator lizard living under my porch and I have seen him eat them but still I want to be sure they aren't poisonous.

look kinda like may flies. well, thats what we call them.(dont know if thats the official name or if thats even what they are) hard to tell by picture. Im personally scared to feed anything wild caught

They don't have the huge legs like a crane fly and we do have those out here so I don't think it;s the same thing. These are much smaller. Here is another picture of one I froze to get it still enough to take a picture. Their body is usually not that curled under.

Oh and they are noctornal and hang around lights....and the females have an ovipositor at the end of the abdomen for laying eggs, which looks like it in the last pic...

I wouldn't feed it to my Chameleons

I have those at my house, I don't know what they are but I've been told never to feed wild caught stuff unless you can 100% say they weren't exposed to pesticides..who can ever be 100% when it came from somewhere outside ya get me?

I have those at my house, I don't know what they are but I've been told never to feed wild caught stuff unless you can 100% say they weren't exposed to pesticides..who can ever be 100% when it came from somewhere outside ya get me?

Keep your WC feeders in a container of some sort for 2 or 3 days. If it isnt dead by then it more than likely hasnt become contaminated.

IMHO my motto is if its red its bad. if i found red bugs and i didnt know what it was i wouldnt feed them to anything

Back
Top Bottom