Can chameleons get anal fissures?

A bit of a weird question but I was wondering whether chameleons can tear their anus and develop a fissure after pooping? A few weeks a go, my male veiled chameleon didn’t go to the toilet for a few days (which is unusual for him) and then I found the biggest poop EVER in his tank. It was a normal healthy poop but it was huge!
Since then he has done one or two poops where there has been a drop of blood on the part of his poop/urate he wipes on his branches when he finishes going to the toilet. I want to get him a check up at he vet but as it is Christmas I’m obviously going to have to wait. I thought maybe he has a cut on his butt from when he did that huge poop as the drop of blood is barely noticeable? I have noticed today and yesterday his urate being more yellow, but still has a clear watery substance around his poop and urate - so I’m in the process of misting his tank more.

He still has normal colours, and has a normal appetite and seems himself other than not wanting to come out as much. He’s a very sociable chameleon but lately just wants to chill in his basking spot all day and watch what’s going on - but will still accept a couple of chin scratches! I put this down to the cold weather and my flat being noticeably more cold. But maybe there’s something more to it?

Wow 😳 I wouldn’t know for sure but a vet visit might be necessary. Maybe someone on here will have had some experience with that situation. I would definitely take pics and possibly keep the fecal sample for the vet, I would think they’d be able to analyze it to see if the blood is from internal organs or from an abrasion.

Try to get a fecal test. Blood in feces can be a sign of parasites.
CHAMELEONS DO NOT LIKE CHIN SCRATCHES! Please do not do this, as you are only stressing him out.

Try to get a fecal test. Blood in feces can be a sign of parasites.
CHAMELEONS DO NOT LIKE CHIN SCRATCHES! Please do not do this, as you are only stressing him out.

I disagree with chin or other hand motion, I had a very aggressive male panther and to teach him like you do dogs i rub under his mouth to show im not scared of his mouth being open. He shuts it and stops aggression when done, now he gets it as a good job type rub and people can say otherwise but he understands the motion. He went from being a snapper/biter to a very handleable chameleon.

As for blood in poop i know if overfed and huge poops just like humans or any other animals it can cause bleeding, just reduce food size or amount. Constipation is real in any living thing.

Back
Top Bottom