can chameleons eat ants???

erik775

Established Member
i was wondring if chams can eat ants...i was gonna my cham out side to get some natural sun light and there seems to be alot of ants in the place i want to put her...which is in my back yard...and away from the doggs...

In the new book "Chameleons of Africa" by Colin Tilsbury it says flies, ants, bugs:rolleyes:, beetles, a froghopper, a grasshopper, beetle larvae, caterpillars and a spider were recovered from Trioceros goetzei stomachs.

Of course you have to be weary of the species of ants. I would be more worried about the chams being attacked by them than them eating the ants. In the summer my cages will get some ants in them. They do not attack the chams and actually help clean up some of the poop and dead leaves inside the cages. In my case, I do not worry about them. Other cases I have heard of ants killing off babies etc. I guess it all comes down to the species of ant.

i was wondring if chams can eat ants...i was gonna my cham out side to get some natural sun light and there seems to be alot of ants in the place i want to put her...which is in my back yard...and away from the doggs...

Nope, probably not. Ants are bitter tasting because of the formic acids. Even if she tries one I bet she won't try another. You really don't want a cham cage where there are lots of ants. They can and will annoy or bite your cham if they climb all over the cage plants. If you must put her cage there make sure you put it up on a table or stand and put the legs in water bowls to keep the ants from climbing all over it.

Nope, probably not. Ants are bitter tasting because of the formic acids. Even if she tries one I bet she won't try another. You really don't want a cham cage where there are lots of ants. They can and will annoy or bite your cham if they climb all over the cage plants. If you must put her cage there make sure you put it up on a table or stand and put the legs in water bowls to keep the ants from climbing all over it.

coooool...thanks for the advice...:)

Do you always taste there meals before feeding?
Lol

Back
Top Bottom