Can branches collected outside be dangerous

Vizzini

Hello, I am building my chameleon his adult home and cut some branches from my trees outside. I was wondering if some branches can be harmful to bring in his home? I cut some pine tree branches as well as another tree which I am not sure of the species. A picture is attached below. I was planning on doing the usual cleaning (light bleach scrubbing and then cooking them). I also plan to remove all leaves and "nubs" from the branch before installing them (they will be used to establish pathways between gradients, provide basking area, etc). My question is, could this branch be harmful to my chameleon? Can anybody identify This? I live in Colorado if that helps

Attachments

• 20170724_123843.jpg
    20170724_123843.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Dangerous means many things. If you have cleaned them in the usual way you've gotten rid of most problems such as deposits from air pollution, herbicides or agricultural chemicals, bird feces and molds. I can't tell what species that branch is, but it could be some sort of non native ornamental. If you use pine, make sure the sap is dried or wiped off so it doesn't get all over your cham's feet. If you meant dangerous as in toxic, that may depend on what cham species you have. Veileds are more likely to take a bite out of their branches or leaves. If the tree had very strong oils, acids, or volatile sap compounds you probably would have noticed when you cut it.

My panthers are always chewing branches too. Id worry a little with pine, but oak, fruit trees, and many more are fine. If they're free of any pesticides then they're fine. Just make sure to get any sap or anything potentially problematic off. Honestly you could cut them off and put right into your cage without much issue, sterilizing with bleach isn't necessary.

You might consider branches that are rougher so the cham can grip easier. Oak are in your area I believe and have the rough bark. Sterilizing and baking are not needed IMHO.

CHEERS!

Nick

Apple trees contsaincyanide so if I were you I'd do a search of each species of tree branch you want to use.
I've read that cherry contains more cyanide than apple, but it may depend on the variety. Not sure a cham would chew on the branches enough to poison itself. Just know what you are using.

Panthers chew quite a bit on branches....don't know about other species...so imho better to be safe than sorry.I just gave one exapmle...I didn't want to bother looking up more examples.

Cherries, apple, apricot, plum, and any cherry relatives all contain cyanide. I've used pear and apple without problems and my Chams chew the branches all the time. I didn't know this when I added them though and took the apple branches out since just as a precaution. I'd feel terrible if branches killed my cham on some stupid chance, I should have been more clear when I said fruit trees. I only mentioned them because they usually have nice branches that aren't sappy without any scent like pines.

Back
Top Bottom