Can anybody explain this behavior?

Mine does that when he wants to come out. If I see him doing it I’ll open the door and he will usually walk out on my hand and I’ll stick him on his free range tree.
Edit: He may be getting to that “age” lol

Mine does that when he wants to come out. If I see him doing it I’ll open the door and he will usually walk out on my hand and I’ll stick him on his free range tree.
Edit: He may be getting to that “age” lol
Thanks, That’s good to know! I’ll have to see about that, so far Opie has been 100% don’t touch me! He is very shy except for when I have Dubias crawling on my hands :ROFLMAO:Hopefully he’ll lighten up sometime soon.

He may if he figures out you are the only way out of the cage lol.
This. My girl just now is realizing that and wants to come out every time she sees me now. This is the same girl who will not let me even stick my hand inside that dang cage unless there is a horn or silkworm in my hand. She still won’t touch me but has came out 3 days in a row now. She tried to come on my hand tonight but stopped 1 step away and flared up with her mouth wide. But she calmed down and turned around back up the stick.

Attachments

• 5B4A74A3-2FED-40A6-B445-6EEC3B94EDF5.jpeg
    5B4A74A3-2FED-40A6-B445-6EEC3B94EDF5.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 130
  • D8588852-63D4-4F7E-8271-9AFBE898B268.jpeg
    D8588852-63D4-4F7E-8271-9AFBE898B268.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 4B4BB43D-F1A5-4131-B417-69AF4620D81A.jpeg
    4B4BB43D-F1A5-4131-B417-69AF4620D81A.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 102
Mine has been doing that the past 2 days when I come around, now that she figured out we can go for rides.

What are your temps like and how are you measuring them? What is the distance for the uvb lighting and what type of UVB are you using. I have only ever seen Beman do this when his temps were not right.
I thought about temperature when I seen him doing this so I checked with the IR gun to be sure, it was 81 in that spot. Then I checked around the top of the cage it was between 78 and 84

What are your temps like and how are you measuring them? What is the distance for the uvb lighting and what type of UVB are you using. I have only ever seen Beman do this when his temps were not right.
also I have a 24” linear uvb at about 10” above his normal basking spots 6% arcadia

I thought about temperature when I seen him doing this so I checked with the IR gun to be sure, it was 81 in that spot. Then I checked around the top of the cage it was between 78 and 84
You can not rely on an IR gun to measure temps accurately here, they are only good for measuring surface temps, not ambient. You need a thermometer with a probe to answer the above temperature question accurately.

Even if your temps are off a bit, that's not what is driving this behavior. Your boys hormones are changing and he is now finding himself driven to patrol his territory and find some booty! All perfectly normal behavior at this age.

also I have a 24” linear uvb at about 10” above his normal basking spots 6% arcadia

If you are running a single or dual T5HO fixture you want the highest branch to be about 7-8 inches below the fixture sitting directly on the top of the cage to ensure his UVI levels are correct. Yours is a little low and while 2-3 inches does not seem like much when it comes to UVI levels it is actually quite a difference. I agree that you want a wired probe tied in at your basking branch to see exactly what the ambient temp is. The temp gun is used to double check everything but will not be adequate for measuring the ambient temp. I do not think he is getting the heating he needs. Also looking at the cage it looks like there are not too many basking sites at the top. You want multiple levels and spots for him to find his perfect range.

You can not rely on an IR gun to measure temps accurately here, they are only good for measuring surface temps, not ambient. You need a thermometer with a probe to answer the above temperature question accurately.

Even if your temps are off a bit, that's not what is driving this behavior. Your boys hormones are changing and he is now finding himself driven to patrol his territory and find some booty! All perfectly normal behavior at this age.
Thank you for your response, I have a thermometer with a probe and a therm pro indoor/outdoor thermometer/hydrometer. I keep finding that the one with the probe is unreliable. so I’m a little frustrated because I bought the heat gun to be more accurate(I use it often at least twice a day, checking all around to make sure the temps are all in check.) the therm pro sits about 6”-8” under his basking spot and is shaded by the ficus so I figure that to be more of an average ambient temp. I don’t pay much attention to the other probe because the reading is way off from other thermometers I’ve tried. So if I need a different thermometer for just his basking spot. What do you recommend? This is the one I’m having unreliable results with..
image.jpg

If you are running a single or dual T5HO fixture you want the highest branch to be about 7-8 inches below the fixture sitting directly on the top of the cage to ensure his UVI levels are correct. Yours is a little low and while 2-3 inches does not seem like much when it comes to UVI levels it is actually quite a difference. I agree that you want a wired probe tied in at your basking branch to see exactly what the ambient temp is. The temp gun is used to double check everything but will not be adequate for measuring the ambient temp. I do not think he is getting the heating he needs. Also looking at the cage it looks like there are not too many basking sites at the top. You want multiple levels and spots for him to find his perfect range.
I have the single T-5HO and I was wrong on my estimate of distance from the light. I just measured it with a tape measure and I am at 7”. The light does sit directly on the screen top as well. Maybe this picture shows the different levels better for basking.( I thought I did an ok job at giving him options for this.) the orange circles are his favorite spots to hang out and bask, the blue are his two sleep spots.
7FE7341C-42EA-47F2-9ADE-309F4C32C980.jpeg
89470382-0C22-4F8D-B0AF-D7B644EF63F0.jpeg

Thank you for your response, I have a thermometer with a probe and a therm pro indoor/outdoor thermometer/hydrometer. I keep finding that the one with the probe is unreliable. so I’m a little frustrated because I bought the heat gun to be more accurate(I use it often at least twice a day, checking all around to make sure the temps are all in check.) the therm pro sits about 6”-8” under his basking spot and is shaded by the ficus so I figure that to be more of an average ambient temp. I don’t pay much attention to the other probe because the reading is way off from other thermometers I’ve tried. So if I need a different thermometer for just his basking spot. What do you recommend? This is the one I’m having unreliable results with..View attachment 250564
Couple General rules for cham keeping:
-never buy anything marketed for the pet trade
- you get what you pay for
ThermoPro TP65A Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Digital Wireless Hygrometer Temperature and Humidity Monitor with Jumbo Backlight Touchscreen and Cold-Resistant Outdoor Thermometers, 200ft/60m Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QBRR6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rIJWDbXC5JRX2

@Brodybreaux25 That’s what I have! But the part you put inside the cage is big and bulky. Do you have yours directly in Your basking spot? I keep the sensor about 6 “ below and to the side of the basking spot. On the side wall not the front. Where the arrow is on the picture
image.jpg
C19A462A-B995-4654-8CD1-F57E6FB6C321.jpeg

Then I’m surprised your having problems with it, that’s my go-to brand.

No I measured everything when I first set it up then removed it.

@Brodybreaux25 Ok thank you this statement from above confused me a bit, ” I agree that you want a wired probe tied in at your basking branch to see exactly what the ambient temp is. The temp gun is used to double check everything but will not be adequate for measuring the ambient temp.”
I “think” my temps are ok. The thermo pro is not giving me any problems. It works great! The small black thermometer, with the probe on a wire, is the problematic one. That’s the reason I don’t have a probe on my basking area like suggested above. My IR heat gun is almost always spot on with the thermo pro. Within 1 degree.

Back
Top Bottom