can a cage be TOO big?

Shrilly

ok so my 1 month old female veiled i put her in the big diy cage i made but is it not set up right? i know i still have to get a linear tube and fixture but i thought i had it ok? but she is always sleeping in the diy i just got new real plants to put in it and a drainage system but since i took her out of my big diy into a glass enclosre she is awake all the time and everytihng but idk if she is still not eating or not since i never have seen her eat yet which is frustrating here is my DIY cage

IMG_0425-1.jpg

if i kept her in the big cage i would need to take her out about twice a day and put her in the glass enclosure for her to chase the crickets? the top had a fixture built in so i installed a spireal tube uvb until i can get a linear to hang down from the middle arch the left has the basking bulb and the right will have a mist king setup but idk if the uvb spireal up there penetrates the full length down to where she is making her tired and not eating or whatever even when i watch her in the glass she avoids the crickets like i saw a cricket crawling on a branch and shes like "ok buddy uill let you pass by" and moves over for it to crawl by i did a face palm at that point

and shes been in the glass for 2 days with a uvb shining strong on her no effect yet?

EDIT: sorry about the pic with that pig plush in it was a joke by some friends....

if its a new cham, its going to take some time to adjust (ive never had an issue of too big of a cage(i free range my chams at 1 month old..)if your cham is sleeping in the day..you need to fill out the ask for help thing, so we can see everything..and i would just try and cup feed rather than move the cham to eat...

if its a new cham, its going to take some time to adjust (ive never had an issue of too big of a cage(i free range my chams at 1 month old..)if your cham is sleeping in the day..you need to fill out the ask for help thing, so we can see everything..and i would just try and cup feed rather than move the cham to eat...

the only thing i have to cup feed it is mealworms and iv had a bad history with them effecting my first, Esme

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, Female, 1-1.5month, less than a week
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
not too often just to feed her if i can
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
pinhead crickets, just putem in there and hope for the best, orange cube
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
calc without d3 daily, multivit and with d3 twice a month
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i spray throught the day 4-5 times
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
normal i believe
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
no
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
nope came straight from FL Chams

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
screen there is pic of it
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Basking and 5.0 UVB spiral(i know i have to go linear)
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
basking spot is around 85-90 lowest overnight is around 73-75
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
need to get a humidity digital but i spray often
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
no i just potted and got some yesterday maybe it wil help? got a scheflora
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
in the corner of my room, its tall and roomy
Location - Ocala FL

you can cup feed crickets too...i do all the time

How do you get them to stay in the cup? and FL Chams said she was fed free ange so i dont think cup feeding would have the highest rate of success but then again nothign can hurt at this point

I cupfeed crickets all the time my cage is too dense with plants for my cham to find them. You can also handfeed or use tongs/tweezers

IMO that cage is way too big for a one month old baby. I think is should be in a very controlled area like a rubbermaid bin. You can see my baby bins here in post # 10. https://www.chameleonforums.com/baby-bins-enclosures-56164/ When your chameleon is 6 or 7 months old it will be ready for that cage.
I kept my babies in a bin until close to 2 months old and the smaller ones even longer. IMO an inexperienced keeper should not have a one month old baby. You should have bought a 4 or 5 month old at least. I would also hightly recommed a male for new keepers.

IMO that cage is way too big for a one month old baby. I think is should be in a very controlled area like a rubbermaid bin. You can see my baby bins here in post # 10. https://www.chameleonforums.com/baby-bins-enclosures-56164/ When your chameleon is 6 or 7 months old it will be ready for that cage.
I kept my babies in a bin until close to 2 months old and the smaller ones even longer. IMO an inexperienced keeper should not have a one month old baby. You should have bought a 4 or 5 month old at least. I would also hightly recommed a male for new keepers.

sorry i ran into this blind and the girlfriend said she wanted 1 that would bond tyou know do that moma thing yay im attached to you so she wanted one young sorry if i had made a mistake going through with this but i am trying all that i can think of new plants different cages different feeding methods and about cup feeding
how do you keep the crickets in the cup?

IMO that cage is way too big for a one month old baby. I think is should be in a very controlled area like a rubbermaid bin. You can see my baby bins here in post # 10. https://www.chameleonforums.com/baby-bins-enclosures-56164/

what i would have said (regarding age and male or female)..i personally never think a cage is too big, however a cham at this age requires constant attention anyway..ied say to read up on some of the blogs people have..

sorry i ran into this blind and the girlfriend said she wanted 1 that would bond tyou know do that moma thing yay im attached to you so she wanted one young sorry if i had made a mistake going through with this but i am trying all that i can think of new plants different cages different feeding methods and about cup feeding
how do you keep the crickets in the cup?

Most of the time tiny babies will not cut feed. Your cage looks nice but just too big for a baby.

tear off their back legs!:eek:

thats what i do..my male gixxer was in free range at 1.5 months and has been since, i use cup feeding..but keep it somewhat close to the area they stay in..now he's all about the cup..runs to it when i place it in the tree..

thank you about the ideas JANN i like the plastic bin idea those are cute setups too very nice looking where do you get your lighting from and im guessing babys need ALOT ov uvb?

thank you about the ideas JANN i like the plastic bin idea those are cute setups too very nice looking where do you get your lighting from and im guessing babys need ALOT ov uvb?

not too much..they are easily overdosed with heat or uvb..and they are more humidity sensitive...keeping them in a bin while they are hatchling or babies, does help to keep a consistant temp and humidity..

so i should put her in a plastic bin and get the linear tube now make a jungle jim with small foliage and lay her in it and set the linear tube on top?

so i should put her in a plastic bin and get the linear tube now make a jungle jim with small foliage and lay her in it and set the linear tube on top?

you could even place the tub inside your "huge" cage as well..and sit it on somthing to raise it up to be the right amount of warmth..

no such thing as too big, they live in the outsideworld, no cage is bigger than that.
it's just a change of scenery thats throwing her(?) off. it'll blow off, chams are territorial in cages. thats all

Back
Top Bottom