Cammy has become vicious??

There are unsure how she got the burns, she said in all fairness, there not a major problem, keep an eye on them, if things get worse, bring her back in.

Also, we wont find anything about her Casque until the xray.

Did they mention anything about possible MBD? Sometimes if they have it, lose their grip and fall, they can break bones...You said something about lack of calcium, so Im wondering if MBD was mentioned or even considered?

I think that was what she was referring to as calcium deficiency. rabbit hadn't been dusting her crix so I'm assuming she developed MBD and maybe fell?

As for 'healing' She needs calcium. There are others on this forum who have more experience with MBD than I do... But my understanding is that she needs calcium and most likely an injection ASAP. She will need plenty of UVB light exposure. What kind of UVB lamp do you have?

I just got a phone call, she did have MBD :( All her bones are really weak, and they was really hard to see on the Xray.

she also had loads of eggs that she couldnt lay due to being so weak, they could have operated on her, to get the eggs out and then give her spade, so i didnt have to worry about eggs again, and put on medication to help her bones, but this would have taken months.

Also, she didnt brake her legs, there was lots of fractures on all 4 legs, and shed never recover properly from that.

the vet advised me to put her to sleep, the operation and medication was going to cost a bomb and may not work.

So shes being put to sleep and then cromated.

R.i.p Cammy :(

Oh My. I am so sorry. I wish you would have found this forum sooner..

I have never heard of spaying a chameleon though.. Many chams do come back from MBD. I do not know the statistics of helping with egg bound, but if this is your decision, then I am sorry for your loss.

Aw. I'm so sorry.

Hopefully one day you'll get another, and this time you'll be educated enough to raise a healthy, happy cham.

Yeh, i feel really bad, becuase it was my fault, i thought i did all my revision, but i guess not.

id like another, but i feel i dont deserve one.

i'l have to think about it :)

The point now is to learn as much as you can from the chameleon you lost. Do tons of research, purchase all of the proper cage supplies and supplements and then consider purchasing a new chameleon. It is truly sad that you lost your dear friend, but her loss was not in vain. I wish it wasn't true, but for most of us our first chameleon is more like a guinea pig. We make many mistakes, but we gain knowledge though the experience and our husbandry improves tremendously.

My juvenile veiled developed a severe case of MBD and it took many months of devotion to bring him back to health. A few hundred dollars for a new cage, proper lighting, the correct assortment of supplements, vet bills and medication all proved worth it in the end. He has fully recovered and I couldn't be more pleased with his perseverance. I'm not sure how much more a severe case of MBD affects a gravid female than a male, but I would expect the affects to be greater. My male had the same eye bulge, wobbly walk and a broken front leg. I think the fact that he is a male helped his chances of survival, since being eggbound was never a problem to consider. Perhaps there is a healthy little male veiled in your future. Good luck to you if you decide to give it another go :D

I agree with Nicolie.

If you enjoyed having a chameleon, don't let the loss of this one deter you from having one. Just be better prepared next time.

Here's a few things you should take away from this experience:

1) Screen cage
2) Temperature Readings (Keep your chameleon from getting burned next time)
3) Supplements (Keep your next chameleon from getting MDB.)
4) Live plants

There are other mistakes you made... but I think these were the big ones. Might I suggest looking at the chameleon starter packages on

http://chameleonsonly.com/

These folks are great breeders and IMO have done a great job of showing you EXACTLY what you need to buy to provide a good home for your chameleon. Even if you don't buy from them, their starter package basically tells you everything you need to add to your shopping list.

You cared enough about your girl to post on this forum to try and get help. Next time I'm sure you'll do better.

Back
Top Bottom