Calumma parsonii parsonii from a french keeper

yes i think at daytime water is more important than humidity.. i have a misting system 2 minutes in the morning when light on and 2 minutes in the afternoon only. But i have dripper almost all day for watering. In the night i have fogger. 3am-8am. It stop with the light on.

I don’t have any experiences with yellow lips. They seems to be rare in france :/ but even in the OE it seems to have difference depending of their locality. In france a lot of OE are originary from nosy boraha. (Mines are not) but the OE from boraha seems to prefer warmer temps than OE from inside of madagascar. And with other keepers observations they seems to not brumate or brumate less longer than OE from inside madagascar.

mine seems to like cool temps.
i can see them basking only 2-3 times a years under the basking spot...

i keep them 20-26°c in summer and 15-18°c in winter.
They will brumate by themselves, i don’t switch off any light in winter so they could choose to bask but they don’t do. they seems to need to brumate...

i think you right with your keeping! Free range is good if all is safe for them. And outside keeping is the best!
you don’t give uvb during winter? Only d3 supplement?
And i think you right once again... i will talk about uvb burn in terrarium..
Mine have arcadia t5 6% but i think the brown coloration under their dorsal crest is uvb burn like almost all parson’s in captivity...
I’m thinking on how to fix this problem :)

Did yours take to drippers pretty fast? I've tried them on a few occasions, but my boy never seems interested. He won't even lick the leaves during misting, he just opens his mouth.

Very interesting about the OE's brumating differently. I notice mine will brumate long, but since i don't breed currently I may experiment with just keeping him at regular warm temps all winter. During summer he will bask or hang around in areas that are high 80s usually. Just likes to have more food when it's warm.

I don't use UVB in the winter mainly out of convenience. It's hard to light up a free range and he mostly avoids it anyway, especially if he brumates. I try to get him out in sun at least once a week in the winter, it gets cold here, but we have random days where it'll be sunny 50s that he seems to tolerate well. I support that with a little more d3 supplementation and he seems to do just fine with it.

Yes mines drink only from drippers. But it have to run 30minutes-1hour sometimes before they decide to go drink.
When misting they only open mouth sometimes but not really drink.
Personnaly i give them th5 uvb 6% arcadia. But near the neon the UVI is 4 even through the mesh. I think it’s too much for parson’s and that’s what give the sunburn on the crest :(
Now i change the position of the lamp to give them UVI between 2-3 i think it’s the maximum to avoid sunburn on parsons.

Back
Top Bottom