Calumma nasutum F1 Newly Hatched

How am I just seeing this!?!

Huge congrats! My female laid this past week and I have no clue where the eggs are. She’s recovered very well and hopefully will give me more fertile eggs. Perfect world scenario, I would love to trade F1s if you are willing. I’m in south Florida. It’s a long road away, I’d still need to hatch and raise them but let’s keep in touch?

How am I just seeing this!?!

Huge congrats! My female laid this past week and I have no clue where the eggs are. She’s recovered very well and hopefully will give me more fertile eggs. Perfect world scenario, I would love to trade F1s if you are willing. I’m in south Florida. It’s a long road away, I’d still need to hatch and raise them but let’s keep in touch?

Joe, congratulations to you as well! And yes, I'd like to trade F1's for sure, if it all works out. Can you post or send me any photos of your nasutum(s)? Be great to see them.

Dave

Hey guys,

I think my female C. nasutum has laid another batch of eggs - was a fatty, past two days crawling around the bottom of viv and now, today, MUCH thinner. See photos below.
Question: Assuming she has laid eggs, what to you recommend - leave eggs in viv and let them hatch naturally (as the first batch did), or dig them up and incubate in separate container with vermiculite etc.?
Thank for your opinions..
Before laying
fpY7Pr.jpg

After laying..?
NicTSy.jpg

Last edited:
My vote is to not fix what isn’t broken lol

Maybe locate them so you’re aware of where they are and note the type of location she chose. You know the lay date she laid, now just take notes of your specific husbandry until more babies show up lol

My vote is to not fix what isn’t broken lol

Maybe locate them so you’re aware of where they are and note the type of location she chose. You know the lay date she laid, now just take notes of your specific husbandry until more babies show up lol
Good ideas ~Thanks, Joe. I think I'm going to leave them in the viv.

Any updates?? Been thinking of you & your littles ;)
Thanks for asking.
There are two surviving now. One lodged itself in the tiniest of gaps between the viv door hinge and a viv wall I installed and got stuck and perished. I couldn't get it out. Another just vanished. I have updated my husbandry to include fog at night to keep 100% humidity. This naturally hydrates the chams. They seem to be growing faster and looking overall better.

Here's the two siblings together at day 21 and from Jan. 2nd.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• C. nasutum 1-2-19.jpg
    C. nasutum 1-2-19.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Calumma nasutum F1 Day 21 Siblings.jpg
    Calumma nasutum F1 Day 21 Siblings.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 236
Thank you. It’s a learning experience. There is a lot of great information and very knowledgeable people more than willing to share their expertise with newbies like me

sorry to hear about your struggles but nonetheless they look absolutely amazing! how are the other clutch doing and how long is their gestation period???

I be
sorry to hear about your struggles but nonetheless they look absolutely amazing! how are the other clutch doing and how long is their gestation period???
I believe gestation is around three months. If any eggs hatch I’ll have a good idea of gestation time.

Day 52. I think this is a female. Here she is on the hunt. Gotta love those googly eyes.

Spectacular. Is the one you think might be male still alive? I still have eggs somewhere hopefully lol should be around a month incubating if they’re ok. The female is getting thick looking again as well.

Joe, at this point I think the two survivors are both female. In personal communication with someone who had eggs hatch - his were all female. We might be seeing a trend? (granted very small sample size). If so, could this could be temperature related? If so , do cooler temps tend to produce more females in this species or chams in general or does warmer temps do so? Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this?

Back
Top Bottom