Calumma nasutum F1 Newly Hatched

Ekona

Established Member
I have been wondering if my female C. nasutum was gravid before import, or had been mated by my male either during their initial quarantine (when they were together) or during one of the times I introduced them together. I never observed an actual mating so had my doubts.

Today, ~8 months after receiving her, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to mist her bioactive viv to find three newly hatched babies! These are my first chameleon babies hatched since I've started keeping chams. Now if I can manage to raise them. Wish me luck!:D

Here are a few photos of the them probably just hours old.

yurRgQ.jpg

x7mEod.jpg

uTz5zi.jpg

l41Pe7.jpg

DLZDNZ.jpg

Congrats!! They are beautiful! Are they separated from the mother? If not, they should be.
Thank you very much, Michelle. And yes they are separated. I've been supplying them with frequent brief mistings and lots of H. melanogaster, but have not observed any feeding as of yet. We'll see how it goes - they sure are tiny - ~ 1" total length!

What size/style of cage do you use for the adults? My local shop had a couple of C.nastumma and C. boettgeri, by which I was super tempted, but wasn't sure about housing or anything because they're so uncommon

What size/style of cage do you use for the adults? My local shop had a couple of C.nastumma and C. boettgeri, by which I was super tempted, but wasn't sure about housing or anything because they're so uncommon
Zoo med 12x12x18 glass vivarium, Screen top and bioactive soil and live plants and ample branches and twigs for climbing.
So far has worked great. Where are you located? I'd be interested to know what store has this species. Thanks.

Zoo med 12x12x18 glass vivarium, Screen top and bioactive soil and live plants and ample branches and twigs for climbing.
So far has worked great. Where are you located? I'd be interested to know what store has this species. Thanks.

Very cool, thanks for the info! Good "apartment chameleons," if we could nail down the husbandry then. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota (I know, the last place you would expect to find niche species like that). We have this fantastic shop, Twin City Reptiles, which gets in some very cool species from time to time. Right now I think they only have veileds, panthers and jacksons, but throughout the years I've seen C. calumma, C. boettgeri, elephant ear chameleons, all sorts of pygmies, and more

Very cool, thanks for the info! Good "apartment chameleons," if we could nail down the husbandry then.
For these C. nasutum, this small Zoo Med vivarium with a bioactive substrate, live plants, lots of twigs and both UBV and plant lighting (no heat basking lamp) seems to be working pretty well. I've been feeding hydei and melanogaster FF and small crickets gutloaded and occasionally dusted. The temps have been moderate (not to hot or above 80F) with a cool down at night as low as 65F, and twice daily mistings has kept this female alive and apparently healthy for close to a year. That she could lay a clutch of eggs that successfully incubated and hatched appears to bode well for these parameters being good.[/QUOTE]

I live in St. Paul, Minnesota (I know, the last place you would expect to find niche species like that). We have this fantastic shop, Twin City Reptiles, which gets in some very cool species from time to time. Right now I think they only have veileds, panthers and jacksons, but throughout the years I've seen C. calumma, C. boettgeri, elephant ear chameleons, all sorts of pygmies, and more
Lucky you! Let me know the next time they get a new shipment of small chams, please. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you, "Q". They are cool little tykes. I hope they can survive. Don't see them eating anything yet. I mean at just an inch total length, I can't imagine they have much of a tongue to catch anything!
That's absolutely astonishing! Only 1 little inch!?!?!
I wish you the best of luck with these little guys!!

Back
Top Bottom