Calumma brevicornis eggs...

Yesterday my gravid female laid her clutch--she had locked with one of my males on Feb. 10th, so about a 44 day gestation. The eggs look ok, smaller than I had anticipated...
IMG_5950.jpg

Here's a picture of the pair locking on Feb. 10th...
IMG_5562.jpg

Very exciting and important moment for the species, hope this works out.

Keep us posted!

All the best,

Armen

Neat deal!! Best of luck incubating the eggs! Are you going to use a diapause for this clutch of Calumma eggs?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks Jeremy!

I was planning on keeping the eggs at a fairly constant temperature, although I'm always open to suggestions from folks on this forum.

I remember reading in a book that one Parson's keeper tried to carefully diapause, and experienced a poor hatch rate. He then kept his next clutch at a constant 72 (if memory serves) and experienced a strong hatch rate. It really stuck with me.

That was for Parson's (you've probably read the book--it was about Panthers, Veileds, and Parson's). I really don't have much else to go on since Parson's keepers tend not to share anything about their methods, and I can't find anything specifically about brevs.

Thanks Jeremy!

I was planning on keeping the eggs at a fairly constant temperature, although I'm always open to suggestions from folks on this forum.

I remember reading in a book that one Parson's keeper tried to carefully diapause, and experienced a poor hatch rate. He then kept his next clutch at a constant 72 (if memory serves) and experienced a strong hatch rate. It really stuck with me.

That was for Parson's (you've probably read the book--it was about Panthers, Veileds, and Parson's). I really don't have much else to go on since Parson's keepers tend not to share anything about their methods, and I can't find anything specifically about brevs.

This was a good excuse to read Ken Kalisch's article about breeding Calumma parsonii parsonii again. You have got that reversed a strong hatch rate with a diapause and a poor hatch rate without a diapause especially for a Calumma parsonii parsonii. That goes for the circle of Calumma parsonii parsonii keepers that I have talked to here in central California. Parsons are known as being difficult to incubate for many reasons however providing a diapause or diapauses is one of the main concerns for accomplished breeding/incubation of that species. Most of the East Coast of Madagascar species could benefit from diapause for incubation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This was a good excuse to read Ken Kalisch's article about breeding Calumma parsonii parsonii again. You have got that reversed a strong hatch rate with a diapause and a poor hatch rate without a diapause especially for a Calumma parsonii parsonii. That goes for the circle of Calumma parsonii parsonii keepers that I have talked to here in central California. Parsons are known as being difficult to incubate for many reasons however providing a diapause or diapauses is one of the main concerns for accomplished breeding/incubation of that species. Most of the East Coast of Madagascar species could benefit from diapause for incubation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Hi Jeremy,

Actually, in "Chameleons" by Ferguson, Kalisch, and McKeown, the author tried diapausing the eggs for two Parson's clutches, and received just two hatchlings from each clutch. The author goes on to say, "Another unrelated clutch from the second pair of C.p.parsonii was incubated at an overall moderate temperature with an average temperature of 72F. The eggs were placed in the same type of containers in vermiculite and kept with the same water ratio as with other Chamaeleo species. The hatch rate with this clutch was more than 85 percent."

He also said it resulted in a much shorter incubation period (14-16 months), when compared to the diapaused eggs (24 months).

He went on to hatch out at an 85 percent rate incubating in the low 70's.

Did I misinterpret his writings perhaps?

Hi Jeremy,

Actually, in "Chameleons" by Ferguson, Kalisch, and McKeown, the author tried diapausing the eggs for two Parson's clutches, and received just two hatchlings from each clutch. The author goes on to say, "Another unrelated clutch from the second pair of C.p.parsonii was incubated at an overall moderate temperature with an average temperature of 72F. The eggs were placed in the same type of containers in vermiculite and kept with the same water ratio as with other Chamaeleo species. The hatch rate with this clutch was more than 85 percent."

He also said it resulted in a much shorter incubation period (14-16 months), when compared to the diapaused eggs (24 months).

He went on to hatch out at an 85 percent rate incubating in the low 70's.

Did I misinterpret his writings perhaps?

Sam

You may have another addition of the same book as mine. My book states in the second to last paragraph that there was a 2/second clutch of 40 eggs and 3rd clutch of 29 eggs laid. However they were still incubating. That is in the Personal Observation on Husbandry, Reproduction, Incubation, and Hatching segment of the Parsonii Chapter. That was the end of the documentation.

As for not going with a diapause that is not normal practice for Calumma parsonii parsonii from my experience (personal communication Ed Martinez and West Coast Chameleon Farms). Here is a link to Andreas thread about breeding Calumma parsonii parsonii. Andreas is the most consistent breeder of Calummma parsonii parsonii on these Forums as of now and he uses a diapause.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/calumma-parsonii-parsonii-84839/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Sam

You may have another addition of the same book as mine. My book states in the second to last paragraph that there was a 2/second clutch of 40 eggs and 3rd clutch of 29 eggs laid. However they were still incubating. That is in the Personal Observation on Husbandry, Reproduction, Incubation, and Hatching segment of the Parsonii Chapter. That was the end of the documentation.

As for not going with a diapause that is not normal practice for Calumma parsonii parsonii from my experience (personal communication Ed Martinez and West Coast Chameleon Farms). Here is a link to Andreas thread about breeding Calumma parsonii parsonii. Andreas is the most consistent breeder of Calummma parsonii parsonii on these Forums as of now and he uses a diapause.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/calumma-parsonii-parsonii-84839/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I'll do some little reading, I appreciate the link.

Back
Top Bottom