Calcium in the Water?

Krystina1207

Has anyone ever tried adding calcium powder to their misting bottle? I'm worried my jax aren't getting enough, the crickets always seem to die when i put the powder in their enclosure...my jax aren't hand fed so i can't "dip" the crickets before feeding them i just sprinkle some on top. but after they have been jumping around, i'm not sure how much is left on them...

(I leave the crickets in the plastic cup i buy them in and my jax grab them from the branch above)

Also...perhaps i'm using too much calcium powder and its drying the crickets out? I'm also using a cricket supplement for them but its powder form. they don't sell cricket-quench in hawaii :(

Most of the calcium powders (at least mine anyways) are designed to cling to the bugs, and the bugs do not have to be fully loaded with calcium, hence the word "sprinkle". Also if your worried about the speed at which the crickets move around, then buy some new feeders. Especially pheonix worms, because they are loaded with calcium. Are you feeding your chams more then just crickets? You should be.

I don't think calcium would do the eyes any good if it got in them.

Are you gutloading/feeding the insects properly?

Hi Krystina,
Just as its name, a supplement/ dusting regiment is basically supplementary/ additional source of calcium.
the primary source of the vitamins/ minerals/ calcium/ and nutrients should derive on your gutloading regiment (things you feed to your cricket).
Greens such as dandelion leaves, collard greens, carrots, kale, and bee pollen are great food for your crickets. Commercial gutload is also available.
I used "Cricket crack" to gutload my crickets.
One of the member here sell the gutload.

Thank you for your replys!

So far i've been feeding crickets and mealworms.

i have been gut loading crickets with a powder form. i've never seen before called Reptile-Life Insect gut-loading food. when i lived in california i used cricket-quencher for my salamanders' crickets, but they don't sell that here in hawaii. i've never heard oh pheonix worms, i'll have to see if they are legal here. unfortunately, many species of food i cannot bring to hawaii :(

Remember when using calcium dust for your crickets, the whole idea is to "dust" not coat the cricket. I place my crickets in a bag or small cup with a tiny pinch of calcium dust and shake them around a bit. Then you serve as you like- free range, hand fed, or cup fed.

I've been adding calcium to the spray bottle for a few months now. I started when my panther female got gravid. So far, no adverse results, except for the white calcium layer on top of the leaves :)

I've been adding calcium to the spray bottle for a few months now. I started when my panther female got gravid. So far, no adverse results, except for the white calcium layer on top of the leaves :)

This is a real risk to their eyes-I really would not do this.

This is a real risk to their eyes-I really would not do this.

Julirs is right, use supplementation on feeders, do not put it in the chameleons sources of water. Spraying calcium all over the cage can also cause your cham to become over supplemented when drinking, it will also make your cage very messy. When it comes to supplementation you must remember to "sprinkle" the feeders, not douse the cage. The high amounts of calcium will also kill your plants.

I just gave Rango a lil powder with his water. He won't eat dusted crickets lightly or coated. Idkk maybe ill but the dropper calcium next.

Back
Top Bottom