Calcium deficiency. Help!

Hello! I noticed this morning that my female veiled had a swollen foot and the nails had fallen off. She was also using her back legs oddly, trying to grip her front legs instead of branches. I took her to the emergency vet. They did x rays and determined she has that soggy bone syndrome ( which i knew already; her veil is crooked) and had fractured her leg. They gave her a liquid calcium supplement and said they would call me when the second opinion from the radiologist came in. We left the vet and went to petsmart. I bought calcium powder to sprinkle on the crickets I feed her. They eat a complete cricket diet (those orange cubes) that I guess was not enough for her. I feel so guilty I didn't get the powder sooner. Anyway we get home so I put her back in her enclosure and just observe for a while. She struggled to climb and would rely on her front legs, usually falling to the bottom as a result. I put a towel down to cushion the next fall but I'm worried she won't get better. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hasn't happened to me, but search the forum for MBD or metabolic bone disease. That's what your vet is calling "soggy bone syndrome". Makes me very concerned that they are calling it that as I've never heard anyone refer to MBD as that...

What specific kind of calcium did you buy? Does it have vitamin D3 in it?

Those orange cubes are garbage IMO. I would use fresh gutload like leafy greens, squash, and mango. This video goes into it more.

From what you're describing she has SEVERE metabolic bone disease and the only way she will pull through is if your husbandry is 100% on point.

Please answer these questions in as much detail as possible and post pics of your cham and enclosure top to bottom: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Back
Top Bottom