Calcium and vitamin questions

Dexter918

Ok I have a juvenile veiled chameleon, Dexter. He’s approximately 4-5 months old. I’ve hear so many different things about when he should get his nutrients. The only constant is calcium with D3 every 2 weeks. Some research I’ve done and things I’ve read say vitamins and cal without D3 everyday but others say only a dozen crickets with calcium without D3 a week. I know to much of any of these can be harmful and potentially overdose him. So vitamins and calcium without D3 everyday or just vitamins everyday and calcium without d3 on a dozen crickets a week? Please help! I want to make sure Dexter is healthy and happy. His skin looks good, he poops good, he eats good and is very active in his home.

Hi there. So this is straight from the care sheet. And here is a link to your care sheet that has tons of info https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks.

Hi there. So this is straight from the care sheet. And here is a link to your care sheet that has tons of info https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks.
So even the multivitamin every 2 weeks as opposed to everyday? See what I’ve seen states the the vitamin should be everyday for juvies but once they’re established every other day. This is and has been my dilemma! So much different information all the time! Thank you for the link tho Beman I’ll definitely check it out! Much appreciated!

So even the multivitamin every 2 weeks as opposed to everyday? See what I’ve seen states the the vitamin should be everyday for juvies but once they’re established every other day. This is and has been my dilemma! So much different information all the time! Thank you for the link tho Beman I’ll definitely check it out! Much appreciated!
Well what are you using because this will matter too. Like I use Arcadia brand supplements. The vitamin I use is recommended on every feeding then the calcium magnesium without D3 is used on every 4th feed. So mine are different then the normal ones you can get at the pet stores. with vitamins this is where proper gutloading comes in to play with your feeders.

Well what are you using because this will matter too. Like I use Arcadia brand supplements. The vitamin I use is recommended on every feeding then the calcium magnesium without D3 is used on every 4th feed. So mine are different then the normal ones you can get at the pet stores. with vitamins this is where proper gutloading comes in to play with your feeders.
I bought a chameleon kit for my daughter for Christmas. This came with a “zoo meds” multivitamin that states on the instructions for insectivores to apply every feeding for juveniles and every other for established ones. I bought zoo med calcium supplements that say 12 crickets per week dusted with each supplement. This is just crazy. I’m told and read so many different things about what to give Dexter, how much to give Dexter and when to give these things to Dexter. I don’t want to o d him nor deprive him of what he needs to be happy and healthy.

Do me a favor and take pics of the supplements so we can give proper feedback on the exact ones you are using. What type of lighting are you using? Is it the double dome with heat bulb and compact bulb?

I bought a chameleon kit for my daughter for Christmas. This came with a “zoo meds” multivitamin that states on the instructions for insectivores to apply every feeding for juveniles and every other for established ones. I bought flukers calcium supplements
I bought a chameleon kit for my daughter for Christmas. This came with a “zoo meds” multivitamin that states on the instructions for insectivores to apply every feeding for juveniles and every other for established ones. I bought zoo med calcium supplements that say 12 crickets per week dusted with each supplement. This is just crazy. I’m told and read so many different things about what to give Dexter, how much to give Dexter and when to give these things to Dexter. I don’t want to o d him nor deprive him of what he needs to be happy and healthy.
One more thing. How can I determine how old he is based on his size? He’s already shed twice since I got him the day after Christmas. From his nose to the beginning of his tail he’s approximately 5 inches.

Do me a favor and take pics of the supplements so we can give proper feedback on the exact ones you are using. What type of lighting are you using? Is it the double dome with heat bulb and compact bulb?
Yes double dome with both of those bulbs.

Yes double dome with both of those bulbs.
Ok since this is the case... I am going to suggest you fill out this form as well. We will need to talk lighting.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 69
I bought a chameleon kit for my daughter for Christmas. This came with a “zoo meds” multivitamin that states on the instructions for insectivores to apply every feeding for juveniles and every other for established ones. I bought flukers calcium supplements

One more thing. How can I determine how old he is based on his size? He’s already shed twice since I got him the day after Christmas. From his nose to the beginning of his tail he’s approximately 5 inches.
Based on size. I would say roughly 5-6 months if he is at about 5 inches and eats really well. :) And are you sure it is a boy? Does he have a tarsal spur on his hind feet?

Ok since this is the case... I am going to suggest you fill out this form as well. We will need to talk lighting.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Here are a bunch of images thanks to another member posting that are really helpful....
View attachment 223158View attachment 223159View attachment 223160View attachment 223161View attachment 223162
un freaking believable!!! They basically sold me the complete opposite of what I need to ensure his well being. Totally not cool. There is an entire back story to us obtaining a chameleon and knew they require a lot of care and attention which we are MORE than willing to provide. I’m going to do some more research and definitely make some changes. Thank you for all your help Beman! I will keep in touch and be looking for more information

un freaking believable!!! They basically sold me the complete opposite of what I need to ensure his well being. Totally not cool. There is an entire back story to us obtaining a chameleon and knew they require a lot of care and attention which we are MORE than willing to provide. I’m going to do some more research and definitely make some changes. Thank you for all your help Beman! I will keep in touch and be looking for more information
LOL ohhh hun it happened to me too. I bought $400 worth of useless stuff. Then had to replace everything. The people that work in petstores are not knowledgable enough to really give the right info. They sell a kit and some feeders and say your good when in fact your far from it. Your cage will be too small for him as well as he matures. He needs a minimum of 2feetx2feetx 4feet tall. Lighting should be upgraded asap. You need a T5 or T8 linear uvb bulb 5.0. This is extremely important so he does not develop MBD. I tagged Brody in this thread because I am not familar with your supplements. He is really knowledgeable about basically everything lol.
You can find a ton of info in this link https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Back
Top Bottom