cage trays

ijmccollum

Was just browsing for cage ideas and found cage trays for water and for substrate (LLL). Any one have experience with these?

I imagine with the water trays you would have to siphon or drill a drain hole.

And since I tend toward natural vivs, the substrate tray is intriguing.

Any ideas/experiences?

Yeah, I drill a hole, set elbows clamps and tubing to a drain bucket, and set my pans on a tilt. Presto! Drainage solved.

I think I've got like 6 drain pans. Stupid LLL steals all my extra cash.

Ive got one of the substrate trays. Was going to go natural with one of the
4ft x 2ft cages I have. I havent used it yet. I have 5 of the water trays, they make drainage easy now. I love mine.

Sweet! Those are good recommends. Will need to pick up some water trays and.... let me know how that substrate tray works out.:)

I have used the drain trays before. The cool thing about them is that they are made out of PVC so you can ues PVC glue to attach PVC fittings to the side or bottom of the pan and easily plumb a drain system. I have a thread on here somewhere where I showed photos of what I did.

You just need to make sure you get the edge of the hole as close to the bottom of the pan. If drilling a hole in the side.

In retrospect, I think the substrate pan is better for applications with misting only because the sides are higher and will catch splatter... BUT if you are using a misting nozzle inside of the cage you will get water build up on the cage screen and it will not be caught by the pan. So it depends on if you use a RainDome or a misting nozzle for water to your animals. The easy fix if using a misting nozzle, is to put plastic around the bottom 6-8" of the cage to catch spatter and to use the pan instead of the substrate.

I have used the drain trays before. The cool thing about them is that they are made out of PVC so you can ues PVC glue to attach PVC fittings to the side or bottom of the pan and easily plumb a drain system. I have a thread on here somewhere where I showed photos of what I did.

You just need to make sure you get the edge of the hole as close to the bottom of the pan. If drilling a hole in the side.

In retrospect, I think the substrate pan is better for applications with misting only because the sides are higher and will catch splatter... BUT if you are using a misting nozzle inside of the cage you will get water build up on the cage screen and it will not be caught by the pan. So it depends on if you use a RainDome or a misting nozzle for water to your animals. The easy fix if using a misting nozzle, is to put plastic around the bottom 6-8" of the cage to catch spatter and to use the pan instead of the substrate.
All great ideas, I'll need to search for that thread.

Will do man. I will be re-doing some cages. If it ever warms up enough. (Im ready for spring)
LOL, how cold can it get in TX? My folks were in Victoria, where are you? I remember they would also complain about the cold - till they remembered their winters in Colorado.:p

Back
Top Bottom