Cage size

Chameleon8896

Since alot of chameleons hang out on top of cage why do they need to be so big? If a chameleon was in a small cage would it be bad for them? Im just curious but for my chameleons they all have the 2ft ny 2ft by 4ft

They don't only stay at the top, and tbh 2x2x4 is the minimal for a lot of species and IMO should have even larger.

And your logic is a little off. I only sleep on my bed in my bedroom, but I wouldn't want the room to only be the size of my bed. Space is so much more than what you use, it adds a feeling of freedom and security.

My female who was kept in a 16x16x20 (by her old owners ) had 3 burns on her body due to the small cage. If they can’t get way from the heat they can burn themselves.

My cham explores all over his cage. He spends his mornings up in the branches near the top eating and basking. By afternoon, he's descended into his lush plants to cool off and explore and find the humidity pockets that the live plants provide.

too cold, top of cage, too hot, hangs out on bottom of cage. and of course there is the layout. If all the fun stuff is in one area, well that will be the hang out area. if feeder is at 1ft, basking spot is at 2ft, dripper is at 3ft, and a stick to sun bath directly under the uvb bulbs...

Unless u have a plus size model type of chameleon it will need a plus size cage with lots strong bungee jumping type of vines n branches to support all that weight n space...but bigger is definitely recommend!

I found some interesting info in this piece:
https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Furcifer_pardalis/

I'm sure a lot of member s will find fault with some particulars, But I I don't think it's unreasonable to accept the idea that an adult will chose a relatively small area to call home- the info suggests a single tree or bush. Based on my experience, they choose a spot in their enclosure to hang out for a few weeks (or at least sleep and explore more than other spots) and then switch it up.
In the wild, they probably wander off to a new tree or bush every month or so, but they aren't exactly filled with wanderlust once they find a spot that has what they need- food, water, protection, warmth.
Also found it interesting that the piece says in the wild they live usually a year or so, with 2-3 being a decent age.
Obviously you want to provide as much room as possible- I currently have a custom enclosure that's about 5 feet high by 3 feet and change diameter. If you switch out old and dirty fake vines and replace them, I'm sure that's a pretty decent way to keep their minds engaged. Of course all of us would love to have an entire greenhouse sized enclosure, but being creative with what you have and providing new stuff for the critter to check out every few weeks/months along with enough room to get a few minutes of nonstop exploration- that is, taking at least 10 minutes or so to check out all the areas of the enclosure before getting back to the original spot- is probably a vague but achievable estimate of how big it should be. I consider my enclosure the bare minimum and wish I had at least a huge screen enclosure for the summer that was safe.
Someone would make a mint if they could put out a kit that snapped together a 8-10 foot L/W by 4' or so height screen cage for outdoor use in the places that have cold winters!

I'm sure a lot of member s will find fault with some particulars, But I I don't think it's unreasonable to accept the idea that an adult will chose a relatively small area to call home- the info suggests a single tree or bush. Based on my experience, they choose a spot in their enclosure to hang out for a few weeks (or at least sleep and explore more than other spots) and then switch it up.
In the wild, they probably wander off to a new tree or bush every month or so, but they aren't exactly filled with wanderlust once they find a spot that has what they need- food, water, protection, warmth.
Also found it interesting that the piece says in the wild they live usually a year or so, with 2-3 being a decent age.
Obviously you want to provide as much room as possible- I currently have a custom enclosure that's about 5 feet high by 3 feet and change diameter. If you switch out old and dirty fake vines and replace them, I'm sure that's a pretty decent way to keep their minds engaged. Of course all of us would love to have an entire greenhouse sized enclosure, but being creative with what you have and providing new stuff for the critter to check out every few weeks/months along with enough room to get a few minutes of nonstop exploration- that is, taking at least 10 minutes or so to check out all the areas of the enclosure before getting back to the original spot- is probably a vague but achievable estimate of how big it should be. I consider my enclosure the bare minimum and wish I had at least a huge screen enclosure for the summer that was safe.
Someone would make a mint if they could put out a kit that snapped together a 8-10 foot L/W by 4' or so height screen cage for outdoor use in the places that have cold winters!
Interesting! though I can totally see that fact. My chameleon will sleep in the same spot for like a month or two then change it up and find a new spot to sleep!

So

The word chameleon means lion on the ground? Not what I would have guessed.

Back
Top Bottom