cage size for baby?

serenitystarlite

Established Member
So my baby veiled is now about 3 months old and is outgrowing the little tank she's in. So I'm in the middle of building her a cage but I think my original design is too big. If I make the cage 12x16, how tall should I make it? Her body is about 2 1/2 inches long, 5 in including tail.

Attachments

• IMG00523-20091008-1858.jpg
    IMG00523-20091008-1858.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 82
Your current dimensions of 12x16 are a little small. I'd go with 18x18x24. This will last her much longer and she will be a more appropriate size for the adult cage by the time she has to be moved.

I was in a similar situation with my Veiled (5.5 months). Started him at 2 months in a 16x16x30" and he started outgrowing it at 4 months. At 5 mo. I had to trim the umbrella plant and lower branches because his casque had a huge growth spurt. Now I have a XL cage on the way (2x2x4') because he really needs it. Decided to go with the XL vs. smaller for obvious reasons.

So just keep in mind pretty soon she'll probably need her "adult cage" unless my Veiled is a really big boy.

Well originally I was going to do 18x12x30 but I thought 30in was too high for her right now so I figured a little smaller might be better for a couple months. The reason it's so narrow is so it will fit on the shelf in the corner of the room which is about the only place I can put it until I rearrange the room and/or buy a wider shelf. That shelf needs to be that small so I can open my closet door but the cage doesn't have to stay there if I find something to sit it on. This was going to be a temp cage for a month or 2 while I build a slightly bigger/nicer one and seal it and everything. If my original dimensions work, I can just go with that. The wood is cut for 18x12x30. Eventually she'll have a 2x2x4 cage for when she's full grown.

So should I keep 18x12x30? If so, how long would that size last before she needs her adult cage? Or should I build an in-between sized cage?

I plan on putting 2 mo cham in a 16x16x30. So 30 in would definitly be too high. I would stick to 30"-36"

Back
Top Bottom