Cage Done! (almost) Opinions , suggestions pls

Ceceblue82

Almost ready for my new little guy - a big Thank You to Matt Vanilla Gorilla for all his help (y) I'll be getting a handsome Panther juvenile from him in a few weeks!
The cage is 2 x 2 x 48 from Dragonstrand with drip tray. I put a shower curtain on three sides to keep water off the room walls and also help with humidity and then put reed fencing over that. I followed Bill's examples on his website for drainage and also how to support the plants - lots of awesome info on his website :)
I've got a Mistking coming tomorrow so that's the last major thing to install. Also upgrading the lighting to the quad fixture from Light Your Reptile.

IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG

Looks like your heat source is sitting directly on top of the screen on the roof of the cage. Young chameleons very, very often climb around upside down on the roof of the cage! That is actiLy the most common way they get burns! I always reccomend that you touch the screen of the cage directly under the heat source with the back of your hand. Hold it there for 30 seconds to a minute. If it starts feeling quite hot, nearly uncomfortably hot after 30 seconds to a minute you will end up with a burned chameleon. Then just suspend/lift the heat source away from the cage. Other than that, it looks quite nice. You might want to add a basking branch directly under your UVB light about 8 to 10 inches down from the light itself.

@Ceceblue82 what type of light hanger is that? I need to get something to suspend mine but the ones I’m finding aren’t tall enough and I couldn’t find a bracket hanger. That is fantastic!

Oh my gosh thank you so much!!! I was at the hardware store yesterday trying to figure out how to build something that wouldn’t look like crap. Lol

Almost ready for my new little guy - a big Thank You to Matt Vanilla Gorilla for all his help (y) I'll be getting a handsome Panther juvenile from him in a few weeks!
The cage is 2 x 2 x 48 from Dragonstrand with drip tray. I put a shower curtain on three sides to keep water off the room walls and also help with humidity and then put reed fencing over that. I followed Bill's examples on his website for drainage and also how to support the plants - lots of awesome info on his website :)
I've got a Mistking coming tomorrow so that's the last major thing to install. Also upgrading the lighting to the quad fixture from Light Your Reptile.

View attachment 220684View attachment 220685View attachment 220686View attachment 220687
Helllo there - I have gone back several times and looked at your habitat. I must say. You have done a really great job of placement with everything. I did want to ask you something? When you ordered the reed fencing, did you have to order it in a 6 foot piece and then cut it? how did you attach it? I am curious.

I also was wondering about more options for a basking spot? Do chams tend to like to bask on the vines or is there a wider option that would be better for them like a platform or something? Or do they mainly like branches because of the way they hold on. I was just thinking about that and wondering if a lightweight wider surface such as 3" wide or something could be mounted up top for them to bask on about 8" from their basking bulb? Curious what people do for the basking spot?

I also was wondering about more options for a basking spot? Do chams tend to like to bask on the vines or is there a wider option that would be better for them like a platform or something? Or do they mainly like branches because of the way they hold on. I was just thinking about that and wondering if a lightweight wider surface such as 3" wide or something could be mounted up top for them to bask on about 8" from their basking bulb? Curious what people do for the basking spot?

Most definitely no to platforms. Chameleon feet need approximately cylindrical items to grasp onto like branches, vines, etc. Flat surfaces are no good, as they are pretty much obligate arboreal reptiles

CC's Baby - First of all thank you. I bought the reed fencing at Home Depot, it's also available at Lowe's. It comes in 4' x 8' . I just cut two feet off, then because I have a Dragonstrand cage with Dragon ledges I zip tied it to those. If you have a cage like the reptibreeze you can use magnets, that's how I attached the shower curtain.

CC's Baby - First of all thank you. I bought the reed fencing at Home Depot, it's also available at Lowe's. It comes in 4' x 8' . I just cut two feet off, then because I have a Dragonstrand cage with Dragon ledges I zip tied it to those. If you have a cage like the reptibreeze you can use magnets, that's how I attached the shower curtain.
Okay -- I was wondering. Was cutting it difficult ? Also -- I have the reptibreeze but Bill is sending me the dragon ledges for it to add to it. I am so excited my actual cage shipped today !!!! I have not decided if I want to do the reed fencing or a decorative curtain around it. I did order the 20 gauge marine vinyl - 3 yards since it is mildew resistant and I am going to wrap the 3 sides with that clear marine vinyl first and then either add the reed fencing or another jungle curtain? By the way -- is that 24" fixture you have a singe or double bulb? hard to see in pic?

Got same cage you did. I love it by the way heres what i did with mine :) dont mind comments either.
That looks very nice. Like how you did the vines? Where did you get that thick brown vine in there? I like the variety of the vine widths which is good for their feet.

Anyway here's the pic I was trying to post Matt
what dome fixture and clamp is that that you purchased. Also -- I am curious as to why you are going with the quad fixture instead of the double fixture? I am going to buy the 24" double fixture with the 6% and 6500K daylight bulb from lightyour reptiles.com.

Back
Top Bottom