Cage Build

Alastair&Anna

Established Member
Hi! I am working on building a bigger enclosure for my male veiled cham, and I was wondering about my UVB. So I have a 16" by 16" by 36" enclosure for him right now and his UVB fixture goes all the way across diagonally (22"). I am looking to build a 36" by 24" by 60" enclosure but my uvb wont go all the way across. I have 2 UVB set ups, so could i put them across diagonally to form a V like this? Or is it too much UVB exposure? Or do they (the chameleons) know the difference between the lighting?
UVB.jpeg
(sorry if i made this confusing T-T)

I wouldn't. You could either get a longer bulb/dome w/ a reflector or change the dimensions to 48"x24"x24" and the one you have will run straight across perfectly, and this sized cage is great for him even as a full sized adult. A deep cage like that may prove harder for you to fill with plants that are tall enough to fill the upper and middle portions of the cage where he'll likely be spending. most of his time, and they tend to be a lot more expensive.

Could you buy a 3' fixture (it'd be ideal)? Chameleons only need one linear UVB bulb. Great size cage build, though! Definitely keep us updated on the build!

I wouldn't. You could either get a longer bulb/dome w/ a reflector or change the dimensions to 48"x24"x24" and the one you have will run straight across perfectly, and this sized cage is great for him even as a full sized adult. A deep cage like that may prove harder for you to fill with plants that are tall enough to fill the upper and middle portions of the cage where he'll likely be spending. most of his time, and they tend to be a lot more expensive.
I don't exactly get why you said to change the dimensions, because chameleons prefer height. I also have hanging pothos and other arboreal plants to hang up at the top.
Could you buy a 3' fixture (it'd be ideal)? Chameleons only need one linear UVB bulb. Great size cage build, though! Definitely keep us updated on the build!
Do you think i could make due with the UVB I have now? T-T I wish I got a bigger one to start with. I also have a free range outside for some real UVB. I will definitely show you the final product!!

Do you think i could make due with the UVB I have now? T-T I wish I got a bigger one to start with. I also have a free range outside for some real UVB. I will definitely show you the final product!!
It'll work, just not be ideal. Just use one 2' fixture over the center of the cage. Great! Yes, please!

But the 3' wide is better than the 2' you suggested
How do you figure?

Honestly, its your build lol. I was just giving you the dimensions to the cages I use, and I use the same 22" sized uvb bulb (24" uvb fixture) that runs perfectly across the top of the cage. Nonetheless, keep us posted on your build process! These are always exciting to watch ppl put together.

How do you figure?

Honestly, its your build lol. I was just giving you the dimensions to the cages I use, and I use the same 22" sized uvb bulb (24" uvb fixture) that runs perfectly across the top of the cage.
The more space there is, it is always better! Therefore 3' is bigger than 2', so 3' is better. I didn't mean to start something, just having conversation!

JMO... If you're building it 36" by 24" by 60", then I would bite the bullet and get a 36" UVB—if only to keep too many heads on this forum from exploding... 🤯

If you want to use both 24" UVB rigs, how about building it 48"W instead of 36", and women will break down your door? (Just a thought... :rolleyes:)

JMO... If you're building it 36" by 24" by 60", then I would bite the bullet and get a 36" UVB—if only to keep too many heads on this forum from exploding... 🤯

If you want to use both 24" UVB rigs, how about building it 48"W instead of 36", and women will break down your door? (Just a thought... :rolleyes:)
Hmm LOL Ok! I might extend it then. I have just already spent so much money on the smaller UVB T-T. I will look into the bigger UVB fixtures for sure tho.

Hmm LOL Ok! I might extend it then. I have just already spent so much money on the smaller UVB T-T. I will look into the bigger UVB fixtures for sure tho.
That's one of the realities of DIY. Very often, it doesn't save (much) money, but you do get exactly what you want. ;)

Back
Top Bottom