Cage at Petsmart

I thought that stuff looked farmiliar... I stil lhave some peat moss and black silicone II on my garage floor - nightmare...

I was putting together a dart tank, and covering the foam with black silicone II. It was a terrible thing, and I didn't even uderstand how bad off I was. I had a hard time squeezing the stuff out, and it wouldn't spread well. Then I covered the entire back after several nights work. I come back a WEEK later, and the silicone had NOT CURED! I had a bad batch of silicone. It was partially cured, so near impossible to squeeze out,a nd it made a horrible mess. I had to scrape off the stuff from the back of my 37gallon tank, and re-apply with GOOD silicone II. took me no time at all.

Eric,
I learned this the hard way as well. Only it was building a glass aquaria that catastrophically failed due to the silicone. Now I always check the exp date on the tube before I buy it. Who would have thought that silicone has an expiration date! LOL

So if I have this right: Take a Piece of Foam Board? Cover it with Black Silicon? Spread Peat Moss and other Organic Material on it? Let It Dry?

Sounds easy at first, but I can see where the silicon can be a royal pain. Everything gets sticky and all over the place. Thanks I might do this for the back side of my cage. Any tips or tricks you can recomend? Thanks for posting this.

Frank

well guys.. here is the finished product.. me and my friend just finished the cage.. letting it sit and cure and air out.. let me know what you think.. There is a pic to show how big it is.. the bottom is screened just like the rest.. It is 23 gauge screen.. let me know what ya think.. and maybe any suggestions on plants and such. How high would you suggest to put the plants and vines to the top so the cham doesn't get burnt?.. and what wattage lights.. thanks guys... The largers pictures are in my next post.. I had to repost the pics

Attachments

• done with me and brian.jpg
    done with me and brian.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 204
  • done door closed.jpg
    done door closed.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 166
  • done with door open.jpg
    done with door open.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 137
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 162
  • bottom or cage.jpg
    bottom or cage.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
It looks really nice. I wish your pictures got a bit bigger so we could see some detail, but from what I can see, you and your friend did a great job! 23 guage is about 1/4" openings, right? If so, you shouldn't have any problems with your cham trying to get out through that. You will be chasing escaped feeders, tho! What are you planning for drainage?

Heika

I actually have the bottom open underneath the screen. Ill post a pic of it. I am still debating on what to put there. Just something I can slide in a out in order to get water and other stuff out. I was thinking a drain pan of some sort. Heika, here are the pics that actually should zoom. I had to resize them.. Hope it helps to see some detail.

done door closed.jpg

Done Door Open.jpg

done with me and brian.jpg

Side View.jpg

bottom of cage.jpg

Nice

I must say it looks great! who helped? jk! Good job im glad we built it, pics look great. Crazy what 2 jews from the block can do. catch you later. :cool:

I agree with Heika. At this point it isn't too late to rethink the drainage. You can use any number of materials such as acrylic, PVC, corrugated plastic, etc to make a sloped or center funneling drain for the bottom. I did some cages with only screen bottoms, and later put in cross beams so I could put in plant pots. This was much better than only the hanging pothos.

Also, When you have cages that the door doesn't go down to the bottom- I HIGHLY suggest making the bottom part fold down or up so you can slip your hand in the bottom. This makes cleaning and making quick wipe downs of the bottom very easy. As opposed to contorting you are to reach in to the bottom.

There are plenty of alternatives to chasing feeders. This is a good idea, and Ill be trying it sometime when I find a carton like that. Hints and Tips by Bill Strand

Last edited:
Actually I don't plan on putting the drain stuff inside the cage. There is basically at slot that is under the bottom. I planned on putting some sort of drain pan. You can see in the pictures that the front doesn't go completely down to the ground. I don't plan on keeping it in the cage because I want to be able to move it in and out without having to move anything in the cage..How hard is it to cup feed? I was thinking of doing this 1 so the feeders don't get out and 2 so I can monitor his food intake... is it hard? Let me know what ya think..

Last edited:
CFree3344 said:
Actually I don't plan on putting the drain stuff inside the cage. There is basically at slot that is under the bottom. I planned on putting some sort of drain pan. You can see in the pictures that the front doesn't go completely down to the ground. I don't plan on keeping it in the cage because I want to be able to move it in and out without having to move anything in the cage.. Let me know what ya think..
Well you will still need to run the water to a reservoir below the tank anyways with a solid bottom. A bottom that is cut into two pieces that slightly angles towards the center or something.

Reason being, it is absolutely painful to scrape leaves, poo, dead feeders, soil, etc off of the bottom screen. Take my word on this, I just cleaned my large screen-bottomed cages and the whole time i was scorning myself for designing them like that.

And then of course being able to put plant pots inside.

ahh i understand now.. I guess we will wait and see.. Its my first cham.. and my first cage.. Im sure ill learn from this one.. After a couple weeks with the cham.. if the bottom is really pissing me off.. I will absolutley think of getting a solid bottom. The only problem is that no solid bottom would fit at this point because the cage is not a perfect size around one. So I will have to configure a way to get a solid bottom in.

Building one on your own would be easier than trying to find something the exact dimentions. Shouldnt be too hard either. You make mestakes and that is what lets you make improvements. I am now on my fifth generation of cage design.

Back
Top Bottom