Cage Aggressive Cham

Tobias&Jellybean

Before i start, i just want to let everyone know that i don´t take him/her out very often because i don´t want to stress her/him out.
I have a VERY cage aggressive veiled chameleon that will not go anywhere near me. I just upgraded him to a 1ftx2ftx5ft tall DIY cage. I know im going to get alot of hate for this, but i let my friend take him out of the cage when she/he was young and he got ripped out... I learned my lesson after that, no one touches them now besides me. Im kind of a helicopter parent and I want to make sure my cham is being cared for correctly. I know him/her is just scared and doesn´t want to get hurt again, but im also worried that because they were grabbed by the top that he may have damage to his ribs? They hiss and bite at me everytime i just go in to give them food. Any tips? Greatly appreciated!

Soooo few questions..
Do you know the gender? You say him/her... This is very important as males and females have different care as they age.
Is there more then 1? You say they/them....
Pics would be helpful along with age.

answering your question... they have very very delicate ribs... the only way to know 100% if they were broken is an xray. Unless you see one miss shaped under the skin... No way to fix it... it will heal on its own if you are providing the right feeders and supplementation.

It is not a matter of cage aggressive... Most Veileds can be very moody.. Chams in general do not typically enjoy their humans.

Hi Beman! thanks for getting back so quick. I do not know the gender which is why im referring as he/she/they/them
I can send a picture later, but im currently at school.
I bought from a local Petco, but ive had him/her for a year now.
Thank you!

Hi Beman! thanks for getting back so quick. I do not know the gender which is why im referring as he/she/they/them
I can send a picture later, but im currently at school.
I bought from a local Petco, but ive had him/her for a year now.
Thank you!
Ok take pics....
If it has tarsal spurs on the back feet then it is a male see my pics below. If not it is a female...
tarsal Spur2.jpg Tarsal spur1.jpg

i’d recommend building trust and a solid bond so the chameleon recognizes you as everything but a threat. my female was the same way until i started hand feeding her worms and roaches. hand feeding helped mine out a LOT. any time i stick my hand in there palm up she thinks i’m giving her food and she comes right up to me.

This may come across harsh, but.... How can you possibly have an animal for more than a year and never so much as bother to google how to sex it?
The differences between males and females of that age is very obvious. And males and females have some very specific different needs, which is critical to know

Hi, thank you for letting me know, i always did think she was a female but wasnt quite sure so i didnt know what to call her. For sure she is a female now. Im just confused now how the care differs from a male? could someone just let me know? thanks!

You need a lay bin if she is in fact a she. She will lay infertile eggs. If she doesn't have a bin, she will become egg bound. A definite vet visit and possible death.

Okay! I will have to do more research on this, i was completely unaware of the lay bin. I thought they only needed that if they had a male. Thank you for letting me know.

Veileds are known to be territorial and defensive. They are not forgiving if you misinterpret their body language when trying to build a trust between you.

Definitely read and learn all you can about female veiled care. I would adjust her feeding schedule and make sure her supplementation is proper. If something is not correct, she will run into issues developing or laying eggs.

Thank you everyone for your concern, once i get home ill be sure to give her a lay bin. any suggestions on how big? She has eco-earth on the bottom so i guess thats good for her to dig and lay eggs if she needs too. Any other suggestions?

I think it would be a good idea for you to show us pictures of your entire setup for your chameleon. I'm seeing several red flags popping up

Back
Top Bottom