Cabbage White(pieris rapae)?

Fenway

Has anyone tried using cabbage white caterpillars as feeders? They were all over our broccoli plants last year, and since our garden wasn't sprayed with anything, I fed some to my Veiled Chameleon. He really enjoyed them. I eventually just started catching the butterflies that were around and would put them in a kritter keeper with a broccoli leaf to lay eggs on. Then I'd raise the caterpillars in mason jars and feed them off. I also had some caterpillars that turned into pupa and I fed the butterflies once they emerged as an enrichment feeder. The chameleon really enjoyed that. I couldn't find anything online about using them as feeders, but I did find something about raising them as a classroom project with Fast Plants. I ordered some Fast Plant seeds this winter and plan on using the seeds to raise some caterpillars this summer. Any ideas on raising and using them as feeders? I think they would make good bluegill bait so I still want to try raising them even if they don't make good feeders.

Back
Top Bottom