Buying Online VS In Person

I just bought from FLCHAMS. They respond fairly quickly. I got my other items already and they said they will be able to get the chameleon to me timed specifically to meet my Christmas present timeline. They also said I will be provided instructions on how to keep the chameleon happy until Christmas morning.

Bought a male Ambilobe panther 3-4 months old (Grier bloodline).

I have bought fish, aquatic invertebrates, and corals online and had them delivered... so I figured online sales for reptiles should be fairly safe as well.

Where in central california do you live? There is a reptile expo early next month in Fresno. It would allow you to get one in person, but beware, breeders at the expo can be hit or miss, just like choosing an online breeder. There are great ones and not so great ones. Make sure you know the questions to ask and what to look for in a cham that is healthy, feel free to quiz breeders on their husbandry.

I don't know where to buy from.

I want a male, and I want to be able to see its coloration and that of its parents before I buy because I want something at least somewhat bright green or blue.
As my second reptile I don't want to get something too needy, and I don't want to spend more than $100.

Sigh.... A friend asked I read this and come out of my cave. The jerk. I'll deal with him....

All chameleons are needy. That said it doesn't matter if it is an expensive or cheap species, they have the same care requirements in lighting and nutrition so the cost is going to be there. That said, you need a healthy animal to make the investment in equipment worth it right? Take a moment and visit Krammerflage Creations. I've known the owner since the 90's. He was a wholesaler back then and the only one in California that went way above and beyond in caring for their stock before moving them on to a retail shop. Seriously. It was a huge breath of fresh air in the industry back then.

None of their chameleons are $100. They shouldn't be either. When you buy one of their animals you are getting a captive hatched animal whose genetics can be traced back generations. You are getting the experience of a breeder dedicated to providing healthy chameleons for over two decades. You are getting a lifetime guarantee of online help regarding how to care for the animal (something no box retailer will ever do). In my opinion, you as a new keeper, are getting the very best chameleon you can get. That gives you the best chance for success in this hobby and the most bang for your limited bucks. Plus a panther chameleon is a hardy and well understood species. Good size too. Excellent chameleon overall for somebody getting into this addictive hobby.

But you are not getting out of this for a $100. Go buy a leopard gecko if that is the budget you have. Not judging you, just being serious since for that amount of money that is what you can provide for.

Some other good sources of chameleon stuff... Dragon Strand (cages). Nick Barta (live feeders, what a selection!) Lightyourreprtiles (Reptile lighting and a ton of knowledge on the subject)

You see... after keeping chameleons for forty years I've learned that getting the right cage, having access to the right feeders, and knowing what the F*** you are doing with artificial lighting, will determine if that $100 brown chameleon will live 6 months or die. The value of the animal is not the issue here, you need the right gear is the point.

I don't want to pay $200 for a brown chameleon that shows up barely clinging to life.

That is standard big box retailer results. Try and avoid the smaller retail shops that flip these animals too. Find a solid breeder with a solid rep and you have the best chance of being happy for your money.

.... Or get a leopard gecko, they live for 15 years and easy as hell to keep.

Back
Top Bottom