Buying an adult female panther

sillycupid

While looking at many chameleon websites, they all advertise babies and juveniles. How much would an adult virgin female panther cost? Preferably with very few infertile clutches laid? Do any hobbyists sell them? Would they be considered valuable compared to a baby or juvenile panther disregarding lineage? Or are they only worth as much as their sire was?

Or are my questions going to be answered on the completely different side of the spectrum where male panther chameleons are more valuable and desirable compared to female's because of their longer life spans and coloration.

It's true that males nearly always cost more and sell more quickly, but females (especially adult, breedable females) from a desirable bloodline will also sell like hot cakes, because the buyer doesn't have to invest time and money into raising them for breeding.

I wanted the same thing when I got my female, I was looking for a slightly older girl so I wouldn't have to start with a tiny baby again and I was lucky enough to find an 8 month female. But I fought for her (literally, I paid for her first but people called me on the phone and tried to get me to back down from the purchase) because people see a female that's ready to breed in no time, while I just wanted a pet.

You just have to keep a sharp eye out and maybe even send different breeders an email. They may have older females that they have been considering keeping for their own projects but when asked if they are selling any will let one go. It's worth trying, at any rate. The classifieds here are a good option too, since people suddenly find themselves in a different situation and have to rehome/sell pets, some of which are young adult females.

Yes, adult breedable females often sell fairly quickly. They are usually sold for less than a brother of the same age might, but they are still more expensive than babies for the most part. The classifieds will have adult females now and then and fauna classifieds/kingsnake (the chameleon sections) will have some too. Also ask breeders too. You never know.

Yes, adult breedable females often sell fairly quickly. They are usually sold for less than a brother of the same age might, but they are still more expensive than babies for the most part. The classifieds will have adult females now and then and fauna classifieds/kingsnake (the chameleon sections) will have some too. Also ask breeders too. You never know.

why are babies less expensive?

why are babies less expensive?

generally because they have not had a ton of time and money put into them. if someone is selling and adult chameleon they have had since it was a baby, they have spent a good amount of time and money to keep it healthy and give it proper living conditions for that amount of time. whereas if they are selling a baby, yes they have cared for it and hatched it but it is still generally less time and money then what was spent to care for the adult throughout its life time :)

And also because babies have less color, especially if we're talking about panthers. It's harder to charge top dollar on a baby that is brown vs. a slightly older sibling that is already showing blues and reds. People want to get the best colors, after all, so that's why "better" offspring of the same age will also sometimes be more expensive.

And also because babies have less color, especially if we're talking about panthers. It's harder to charge top dollar on a baby that is brown vs. a slightly older sibling that is already showing blues and reds. People want to get the best colors, after all, so that's why "better" offspring of the same age will also sometimes be more expensive.

so true! didnt even think about that :) but as your blog shows, with proper care, babies who look different will grow to be just as gorgeous as their more quickly maturing siblings :D

While looking at many chameleon websites, they all advertise babies and juveniles. How much would an adult virgin female panther cost? Preferably with very few infertile clutches laid? Do any hobbyists sell them? Would they be considered valuable compared to a baby or juvenile panther disregarding lineage? Or are they only worth as much as their sire was?

Or are my questions going to be answered on the completely different side of the spectrum where male panther chameleons are more valuable and desirable compared to female's because of their longer life spans and coloration.

Adult female prices vary on lineage, age,size coloration and locale. The cheapest i got was 200$ for 2 ambilobe locally from good lineage. Check Craigslist in your area. If you can find someone local it will cost you the least seeing that shipping is around 50$. Generally i look to spend 175$-275$. I also like to get their age and weight in grams to judge how big they are compared to their age. bigger females = more eggs

Back
Top Bottom