Buying a Melleri

I love hearing Melleri stories like that! I too have come across some beautiful specimens that were wild caught. It's not impossible, but very rare in the last imports I've seen. I'm curious to see what the upcoming one offers.

This is the male that I am hoping will bring me success in my breeding project. I have other males on the roster, but I'm crossing my fingers on this one. His colors are beautiful at rest and especially when he displays like below.

View attachment 153575

Forgot to add: WOW! He's BEAUTIFUL!

You're very kind!

Speaking of water hogs. This guy pretty much drinks non stop. It is amazing how much of their day they will devote to hydrating.

However do you provide him with enough water? I had been thinking that a long shower would be sufficient but it's starting to sound like that's not the case.

However do you provide him with enough water? I had been thinking that a long shower would be sufficient but it's starting to sound like that's not the case.

It sounds daunting I know.

I have Mistking systems with rain domes on some and others have regular misting nozzles. The most important aspect is good water collection/drainage. If you plan on using your bathroom, you could set up an area in the shower. That would be incredibly convenient!

Indeed they have, haha. I loved the size and the intelligence behind those eyes. Even Pascal, as gone as he was, would look at me with the kind of certainty and intelligence I might expect from a dog or a cat. I love my veileds, but they seem very "animalish" to me. Pascal... he was like a person trapped inside a chameleon.

You guys all have some terrific stories. I'm so envious! I'm also worried that I might not provide the best home. 30-45 minutes, 3 times a day is a LOT! I would have done it for Pascal, no questions asked. But is there a better way of providing them the hydration they need than, say, a long shower? If my melleri were allowed to freely roam, what would be the best way for me to provide him with the amount of moisture he needs?

Thank you all for your input! I love this community!
If you are fogging, you will not go through nearly the amount of water you would if you use misters. Mellers just seem to need time to decide to drink, and with their size, they need a lot of water to have healthy kidney function.

I understand now. A misting machine does seem much more practical. And setting it up in my shower would be soooo massively convenient. Thanks for the input, guys! I'm looking into a Mistking System of my own now. :)

I run 15 to 20 gallons of water through my system every week. I have 2 MistKing nozzles on either side of my 5 foot enclosure. I have my system set on 3 20 minute watering times a day. Taco usually chooses different times to drink each day. But he drinks a lot each day as someone mentioned earlier.

Good luck finding a Mellers! I got lucky and found a LTC on the Fauna website. Your best bet is to find a WC that has been in the states for a while. I didn't have to treat my guy for parasites or anything. He just came in a little dehydrated.

Good Luck finding one. Best Chameleon to have as a pet! Great personality!

I understand now. A misting machine does seem much more practical. And setting it up in my shower would be soooo massively convenient. Thanks for the input, guys! I'm looking into a Mistking System of my own now. :)

A MistKing is the only way to go with a montane species. A shower is a perfect set up for a Mellers.

Good luck finding a Mellers! I got lucky and found a LTC on the Fauna website. Your best bet is to find a WC that has been in the states for a while. I didn't have to treat my guy for parasites or anything. He just came in a little dehydrated.

Good Luck finding one. Best Chameleon to have as a pet! Great personality!

When getting a long-term captive, consider them vulnerable just the way a wild caught is. They aren't the same as captive hatched animals. I don't know why, but a change can stress them out enough that they will just up and die.

So, I'm torn between a Mistking and a DIY setup (the DIY seems like it would be much better/easier to arrange in my shower). I still have time to research it all, though. Now that I understand their water requirements it's much easier to visualize this whole endeavor. I just need to figure out what works best for the space I have available.

When getting a long-term captive, consider them vulnerable just the way a wild caught is. They aren't the same as captive hatched animals. I don't know why, but a change can stress them out enough that they will just up and die.

This is something that terrifies me. What if I move?

woooooo! View media item 41779 :) i think im gonna get eggs soon!

OMG! That's so exciting!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

So, I'm torn between a Mistking and a DIY setup (the DIY seems like it would be much better/easier to arrange in my shower). I still have time to research it all, though. Now that I understand their water requirements it's much easier to visualize this whole endeavor. I just need to figure out what works best for the space I have available.

This is something that terrifies me. What if I move?

OMG! That's so exciting!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I know!!! Today, there is no difference between me and a seven y old kid in a birthday party!

Hahahahaha!!! I wish your little one all the luck! And you as well! Would you mind keeping me(us?) updated with pics? This would be lovely to follow.

Back
Top Bottom