butterworms?

THECHAMMAN

Established Member
hi, i just bought some butterworms form my local pet store, so i was wondering if they had any good nutritional values (and how to raise them if they are good).

This is from mulberry farms

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/horn2.htm

NOTE: The following information was provided by our current Butterworm supplier.

Butterworms are approximately 1 " to 1 3/4" length like a catarpillar,
but are fatter and smooth to touch, like Waxworms.

**The Calcium content is twice that of any other feeder insect

Nutritional Information
Moisture 58.54
Ash 1.04
Protein 16.20
Fat 5.21
Calories/Fat 87.73
Calcium (ml/100 grs) 42.90**

Butterworms are shipped in wheat bran, for bedding material and to absorb moisture. The Butterworm may eat a little while stored. They can be stored in the refrigerator at temperatures of 38-42 degrees F. Butterworms can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 months with minimal loss. Butterworms are a little more expensive than Silkworms BUT they have the advantage of being able to be stored for extended periods of time in the refrigerator.

anyone else want to chime in... also i get mine for 2 dollars at my pet store, and i will be feeding them off pretty quickly, so i dont think ill be needing to put them in the fridge

I don't think you will get much more info on these guys.

They are treated to prevent them from pupating to adult so breeding them is not an option.

They smell like fruit

You store them in bran. They are not really a feeder you would gutload. Basically a good treat to add to your normal diet.

I am curious - How Many anre you getting for $2

butter worms are great feeders provided that your cham like them (my chameleon just look at them and shrug them off).
They do smell wonderful.

They are great nutritionally and high in calcium.
best to refrigerate them and take them out when you want to feed them to your cham.
They only eat trevo wood and that plant exist only in south America.

The Butterworms came here radiated so they will not carry any diseases or parasites to US. Because of that, they become sterile. It's impossible to breed them.

ahhh crap. ok well i thought id ask... why do the ones i have spin some kind of silk... does anyone know.

Back
Top Bottom