butternut squash peel

lysinlight87

Hi,

I'm about to spend about half an hour attempting to peel a butternut squash without peeling my fingers off too. I'll have a huge pile of peel by the end, can I use it as gutload for my insects?

I gave up on peeling butternut squash when.N, I realized that my roaches devoured the skin and all whenever I gave it to them.

I'm going to say yes, I've used it and they loved it. Try cutting it into big chunks, then slicing the skin off, that can be easier. Even better is to roast it, and just take the skin off, but then it's no good for gutload!

The peel is the worst part to feed since it is full of pesticides and waxes applied to preserve the vegetable. The peel binds to these types of things pretty tightly so you can't just wash them off. It's actually better to not give the peel if possible.

Why would roasting it make it not good for gutloading? The flesh is the best part.

The peel is the worst part to feed since it is full of pesticides and waxes applied to preserve the vegetable. The peel binds to these types of things pretty tightly so you can't just wash them off. It's actually better to not give the peel if possible.

Why would roasting it make it not good for gutloading? The flesh is the best part.

I won't use the peel then, but I'll shave a load of flesh and keep that for gutload. The rest I'm gonna much myself cos I love it lol

I love butternut squash too! If the peel is too much of a pain you can cheat a little and cut a block and put it in the bin skin side down so they can eat the flesh up to the inside of the peel, then remove it so they never get to the outer part where the residues are. But it's easy to cut off once you cut a block anyway so I just remove it altogether.

The pesticides and wax hadn't actually occurred to me... I must admit I hate peeling the damned things and get prepared chunks instead! I wasn't sure about giving them cooked food, but it's okay generally?

Yeah, cooking doesn't remove the nutrients (or almost none of our food would be beneficial) so it's still good to use. I have to boil or microwave it a little to feed my tortoise because otherwise it's too hard for him to bite!

Oh that's a good idea! I haven't tried mine with squash, they usually get lumbered with weeds and a blueberry once or twice a year as a treat, and if they are very lucky, a bit of prickly pear, which they love and it turns their faces pink.

Is it a sulcata that you have? I'm trying to remember. We went to Gatorland in Florida a couple of years ago and they had a giant tortoise, chest-height to my girls, and you could buy butternut squash quarters on a stick to feed to him!

I have 2 sulcatas, who have no trouble with raw squash they're so strong, but the ones who need it boiled are the little gopher tortoises. They're about 40-50 years old and they eat slower and more daintily than the teenage 80 pound sulcata beasts!

I saw them in your gallery! They are so cute. I can't believe you shipped all those! Mia is cute, is she a redfoot? Love the pic of the box turtle peering at a superworm! My eldest had an animal guy to her birthday party in May and he brought a huge sulcata in a big tub, he was a big hit with the other children! They were hoping to ride him, and I had to explain the difference between when you CAN ride something, and when you SHOULD ride something...

Personally when i make a stir fry which always consists of butternut. I peel it with a potato peeler. Shaved right off. Then half is for me half is for dubia and crickets. :)

I had no idea! This forum is so enlightening. I've only ever used raw gutload. My husband hates it when I refer to the dinners I've made as gutload...

I too tend to lightly boil squash and other very hard veggies before using it in the bugs bin. It's much easier for them to eat and they actually eat the whole thing when I do it.

I too tend to lightly boil squash and other very hard veggies before using it in the bugs bin. It's much easier for them to eat and they actually eat the whole thing when I do it.

That's a really good idea, I might try it with carrot

They seem to not have an issue with carrot. Might be worth a try though. I always end up with little bits of dried old carrots when it's raw. I've never tried steaming/boiling the carrots.

I'm going to say yes, I've used it and they loved it. Try cutting it into big chunks, then slicing the skin off, that can be easier. Even better is to roast it, and just take the skin off, but then it's no good for gutload!

Maybe don't roast it, I am not sure if I am correct but i believe that will take a lot of nutrients out of it which means a poor gut load. I think! But I have used it in the past one time and they loved it, i just found potatoes were a lot easier lol

Potaoes might be easier but they arent very good for gutloading. Cooked food is t as good as fresh, ripe food, but it still has a lot of nutrients in it. How do you think humans get nutrients from cooked veggies and fruits.

Back
Top Bottom