Butter Worms!!

bigblade

Just sharing my panther chameleons reaction to his first jumbo butter worms. Lets just say he'll never get any again.:mad: Any advice on possible ways to get the black "rash" to fade faster?:confused:

Attachments

• whistler black.jpg
    whistler black.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 483
  • whistler black chin.jpg
    whistler black chin.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 376
  • whistler black back.jpg
    whistler black back.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 352
Wow, that's a terrible reaction. I've seen photos of chin or lip dark discoloration as a buttetworm reaction, but never something that bad. Poor little guy. I have no advice other than that should be his first and last butterworm.

I saw this on Chameleon Central but you had said he didn't get anything that he had not gotten before?? So meaning he had eaten butterworms before is the way I understood it. Just confused... whatever the case, there is nothing you can do and you will just have to wait until the discoloration subsides as far as I know

Yes he had; had butter worms before, but they were the regular "smaller" he didn't seem the like the regular butter worms since I could only get him to eat one. This reaction was to the jumbo butter worms he actually enjoyed them. I don't understand how regular butter worms had no effect on him but the Jumbos did? Doesn't matter though, I won't be buying either kind of butter worm again.

Oh gotcha! I am glad you posted this as it can let others know. Obviously not all chameleons are effected in this way as I know other people feed them. I guess it is just like people where some get allergic reactions to things and some don't. You will have to keep us posted on how long it takes to go away. My chameleon's eyes and the area surrounding were like that for a few days if I remember, but nothing to the extreme of what happened to yours.

Quick Update

It's day 4 and while the "rash" is still very visible you can finally tell it's fading. I'll keep everybody updated and by the first on the month I'll post a picture of what he looks like now.

While the rash is not attractive to look at his behavior hasn't changed. He still eats, drinks, poos, and gets around OK. The arm most effected by this rash still very much has a grip, and he still would rather spend all day sitting on my head instead of being in his nice warm tank. So all and all I think he is doing good as long has his behavior doesn't change I think I'll keep him away from the scary guy who man handles me ie: the vet lol.

Update! Turned bad

Yesterday I was drawing out the plans for Whistlers cage. I had him out running around on the table when I noticed raw skin under his right arm. I went a head and took him to an emergency vet she says that this is not butter worm related this probably happened when he grabbed onto the 60W coiled florescent light bulb we use in the living room lamps. I have him on an Iodine wash and Baytril (enrofloxacin) to kill any possible infection. Tomorrow I'll call and make an appointment at his regular vet. Since his behavior hasn't changed except for the ulceration under his arm I'm not to too worried anymore. Yesterday was an whole other story.

Oh man you have had a string of bad luck with this this guy. I hope he fully recovers soon from both the butterworm rash and the burn.

Back
Top Bottom