Burns??

Cruiser711

Are these burns? I have the default bulb hood that came with the kit but have a 75w basking bulb at about 8 inches away, at the temp is around 85. I also the the arcadia t5 uvb light. I accidentally got the wrong size but that doesn’t matter too much right? But I don't think I noticed the burns until I got the uvb light. Does anyone know if these are burns?

Screenshot_20211006-160020_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211006-160035_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211006-160040_Gallery.jpg

Can we also get more pics of the arms? I might be delusional but I can see a possible signs of MBD. Would you mind filling out a forum for us? I’ll get one pasted down below.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I don’t have a definite answer on how old my girl is but if i had to estimate, maybe 1-2 months? Petsmart is awful about these sorts of things. I have had her for about 2 weeks now.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon As she is relatively new to me and her cage, I am not trying to hold her a lot. I am in a hand feeding program and am working my way up to try and get her to lower her guard with me.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding her a mix of ¼ inch crickets and ¼ inch dubia roaches, both fed carrots. I change their water jelly and food every 2 days. I am feeding about 8 crickets and 2-3 dubia roaches (estimate) twice a day. I am not too sure about gutloading, I feed the feeders carrots and an apple once around like 48 hours before I feed them to my girl.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am using repti calcium without D3 for every feeding and repticalcium with D3 twice a month, but since I have only had her for about 2 weeks I haven’t been able to do a full month yet
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a misting bottle and when I turn her lights on and uncover her enclosure at 9 am and 2 other times during the day. It lasts for about 30 seconds. I have seen her drink about 10 times.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Her droppings look good to me, they are solid, and I have not seen any body parts. Her urate is white most of the time, if its not completely white then it has just a bit of yellow. But when I spot checked the last couple days I have not seen any poop. I have not taken her poop in to get tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got her from petsmart.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have the zoo med reptibreeze 16x16x30

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo med double light fixture hood. I do not use the uvb from that. I do use the hood itself but use a 75w basking light that’s about 8 inches away from her basking branch. I also have the Arcadia ProT5 6% UVB Bulb and have been using it for the past few days. I used the uvb from the kit for about a week, while I was waiting for the proper uvb to come in.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Her basking spot is about 85 degrees with the bottom of the vague being around 72 degrees. At night her cage get about 72 degrees sometimes 65
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Her humidity during the day humidity get about 50% and about 70% at night. My main source of humidity is when I Mist throughout the day. At night I am trying to play with getting her humidity up so I use a sheet to cover her enclosure and mist right before lights out.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I do use live plants. I have 3 golden pothos, 2 hanging from the top sides and one at the button that I am trying to get to grow upwards. I have dracaena, golden pothos, a croton, two Hypoestes sanguinolenta, a hibiscus tree in the center for her to climb (She loves it) and a chamaedorea.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Her cage is located next to my window. On a table and the top of her cage is about 6 foot 3 in the air. It’s on the opposite side of the room of my vent. No fans and not a high traffic area. I am usually the only one who goes to that corner of the room.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Los Angeles Ca.

Current Problem - I am worried that there are burns on her back and casque so any help would be appreciated.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Alright I filled it out

Looks like it could be the start of a burn to me, but I’m not 100% on that. You’ll want to lower the temp a bit and the best way to do this is to raise your light a few inches above the screen top, which will also reduce risk of her getting too close and getting a burn. Hold your hand beneath the light below the screen for a minute or two. If it’s too hot to keep your hand there comfortably, it’s too hot for her. Will go over your husbandry, but will take a bit of time.

I’ll put my feedback in red. :)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I don’t have a definite answer on how old my girl is but if i had to estimate, maybe 1-2 months? Petsmart is awful about these sorts of things. I have had her for about 2 weeks now. Hmm…I’m not sure about age. Going by the size of her vine, I can see she’s very small, but I would expect her casque to be a bit smaller. Are you sure she’s a girl? Does she have any nubs sticking out of the back of her back feet? Male veileds have tarsal spurs, females don’t.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon As she is relatively new to me and her cage, I am not trying to hold her a lot. I am in a hand feeding program and am working my way up to try and get her to lower her guard with me. Perfect! Great blog on this here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding her a mix of ¼ inch crickets and ¼ inch dubia roaches, both fed carrots. I change their water jelly and food every 2 days. I am feeding about 8 crickets and 2-3 dubia roaches (estimate) twice a day. Feeding amount goes by age and not really knowing her exact age, makes it a bit difficult. Below 3 months they should get as much as they can eat in a 15 minute time, twice a day. 3 months they should transition to around 15+ feeders daily. am not too sure about gutloading, I feed the feeders carrots and an apple once around like 48 hours before I feed them to my girl. Attaching my favorite 2 graphics…feeders and gutloading. If you keep your feeders well fed a mix of nutritious fresh foods, they will always be technically gutloaded. In order to provide great nutrition to your chameleon, the bugs need to be healthy. I use fresh greens like arugula, watercress, chard, dandelion greens (when in season), bell pepper, various squashes and just a bit of fresh fruit like berries. I also add a bit of Repashy Bug Burger that I’ve added some bee pollen to.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am using repti calcium without D3 for every feeding and repticalcium with D3 twice a month, but since I have only had her for about 2 weeks I haven’t been able to do a full month yet Very good! However, you’ll need a multivitamin too, which you’ll give twice a month (alternate every week between calcium with D3 and multivitamin). Reptivite without D3 is a good one to use.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a misting bottle and when I turn her lights on and uncover her enclosure at 9 am and 2 other times during the day. It lasts for about 30 seconds. I have seen her drink about 10 times. How is it that everyone gets to see their chams drink except me?! All of mine are secret drinkers. :cautious: Increase your misting time to about 2 minutes and it’ll be perfect.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Her droppings look good to me, they are solid, and I have not seen any body parts. Her urate is white most of the time, if its not completely white then it has just a bit of yellow. Perfect But when I spot checked the last couple days I have not seen any poop. I have not taken her poop in to get tested It’s always a good idea for a vet wellness visit and a fecal.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got her from petsmart. All the more reason to get a fecal done.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have the zoo med reptibreeze 16x16x30 This is fine for now. However, before you know it she’s going to be a big sassy lady and will be needing more space. A 2x2x4’ enclosure or equivalent is the minimum she’ll need.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo med double light fixture hood. I do not use the uvb from that. I do use the hood itself but use a 75w basking light that’s about 8 inches away from her basking branch. I also have the Arcadia ProT5 6% UVB Bulb and have been using it for the past few days. I used the uvb from the kit for about a week, while I was waiting for the proper uvb to come in. Perfect! The basking light is a bit too much, as I already said in previous reply. When she’s old enough to not climb the screen top, you will probably need a 60w basking light and can place it back on the screen top if you like. Your lights should be a distance of about 8-9” above basking area for ideal uvb levels.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Her basking spot is about 85 degrees Too hot for a baby and a female with the bottom of the vague being around 72 degrees. Nice gradient! At night her cage get about 72 degrees sometimes 65 Great temp drop.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Her humidity during the day humidity get about 50% Make sure it doesn’t get above this during the day. Ideal is between 30-50%. Of course it’ll spike right after misting, but it needs to drop back down as the enclosure dries out. and about 70% at night. My main source of humidity is when I Mist throughout the day. At night I am trying to play with getting her humidity up so I use a sheet to cover her enclosure This concerns me. Are you draping a sheet over her entire enclosure? If so, don’t. It will block proper air circulation. You can cover the sides, but try to leave some of the bottom open and all of the top for chimney effect air circulation at night. and mist right before lights out. Many use a cool mist fogger at night when temps drop below 70 for natural hydration.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I do use live plants. I have 3 golden pothos, 2 hanging from the top sides and one at the button that I am trying to get to grow upwards. I have dracaena, golden pothos, a croton, two Hypoestes sanguinolenta, a hibiscus tree in the center for her to climb (She loves it) and a chamaedorea. I had to look a couple of those up, lol. All are safe. You know that she will eventually nibble at her plants? Some females are especially ‘bad’ and will strip all the leaves. Do you have a good plant light? If not, you need one. I like and use these and they are strong enough for hibiscus. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I’m not sure if a screw in plant bulb (can put in the other side of your dual dome) would be strong enough for hibiscus, but you could try if you want.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Her cage is located next to my window. Next to or in front of? Just be alert for the greenhouse effect for any light coming in the window that could overheat her enclosure. Aside from that, they do seem to enjoy having a nice view. On a table and the top of her cage is about 6 foot 3 in the air. Love it! It’s on the opposite side of the room of my vent. No fans and not a high traffic area. I am usually the only one who goes to that corner of the room.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Los Angeles Ca.
Current Problem - I am worried that there are burns on her back and casque so any help would be appreciated. As per my previous post, check with your hand that the heat from your light isn’t too much. I’m really not sure if those are burns or not. They could be too fresh that they haven’t yet shown the tissue damage. Be alert for any further color or scale texture change at those areas. If they are burns, it’s best to see a vet and get treatment cream prescribed, and depending on severity an oral antibiotic may be needed. Taking her for a general wellness vet check and having a fecal check for parasites, is my suggestion, as the vet can better evaluate if indeed burns.
Aside from that and a few things, your husbandry is pretty good. :)
I have to ask though…are you aware that our females will lay eggs regardless of being mated? While she’s currently too young to worry about any of that, in a few months it is something you’ll be needing to prepare for. I’m not going to go over any of that here and now. This is a great article on it though and when the time approaches, one of us will be happy to help you get thru all you need to know and provide support. :) http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

50138F23-160E-4006-B02A-67A4351FB0B2.jpeg
A90FFC98-7430-42F6-BE9B-1B740FB573F0.jpeg

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo med double light fixture hood. I do not use the uvb from that. I do use the hood itself but use a 75w basking light that’s about 8 inches away from her basking branch. I also have the Arcadia ProT5 6% UVB Bulb and have been using it for the past few days. I used the uvb from the kit for about a week, while I was waiting for the proper uvb to come in. Perfect! The basking light is a bit too much, as I already said in previous reply. When she’s old enough to not climb the screen top, you will probably need a 60w basking light and can place it back on the screen top if you like. Your lights should be a distance of about 8-9” above basking area for ideal uvb levels.
thank you so much for the help. I am so thankful. For her basking light, it is about 8 inches away and is about 2 inches away from the top which is included in the 8 inches. But it's 75 watt, should I lower the wattage as well? what would be a good wattage?

thank you so much for the help. I am so thankful. For her basking light, it is about 8 inches away and is about 2 inches away from the top which is included in the 8 inches. But it's 75 watt, should I lower the wattage as well? what would be a good wattage?
I would try a 60w basking bulb and see what temps that gives.

alright, I'll buy the govee. Would this light be good? Here
It should be. The temps and distances they list - somehow doesn’t seem that they’ve got that right or the screen reduces the temp considerably. I’ve been using Fluker’s 60w basking bulbs and at correct distance from uvb, temps are around 80f for me. Just check and make sure your temps are no higher than 80.

Back
Top Bottom