Burn or natural colors?

Kamila

Hi! I recently noticed how dark my veiled (male) chameleons scales are on his head or casque and I'm worried they are burns, he's always had a few dark patches but this time they are almost pitch black, they don't have that melted or damaged look normal burns do. Any help would be appreciated
20210421_231039.jpg
(picture was taken while asleep)
I also wanted to ask if a crooked scales/casque is normal or a sign of mbd? It seems he is a little bit crooked

Last edited:
Doesn't look like a burn to me.
A crooked casque can sometimes be form other things than MBD too.
What supplements do you use and how often for each?
What do you feed the insects? What UVB light do you use? Please be specific.

Hi and welcome without filling out a full husbandry form it would be hard to give a proper and detailed help ( this is not a vet site ) but would be helpful for for the dedicated members to give their their experienced views

Doesn't look like a burn to me.
A crooked casque can sometimes be form other things than MBD too.
What supplements do you use and how often for each?
What do you feed the insects? What UVB light do you use? Please be specific.
Multivitamin 2 times a month, lightly dusted bugs no phos/d3 every feeding. I gutload with a varied assortment of veggies mostly carrots, dandelion leaves, beet leaves, orange, apple, sunflower seeds no salt, dried seaweed and occasionly other things (i mostly use the gutload guide on the forums) i have a basking light 75-80 degrees and an exo terra uvb light that i change every 6-7 months.

hi I think your supplements are off @Beman. Also as I believe it the exoterra tube is more for desert species that require a higher level of uvb than chameleons you will want either a reptisun 5% or an arcadia6% linear tube . Can you post pictures of your enclosure, lights down. @ MissSkittles can you or someone please add a husbandry form. Thanks

hi I think your supplements are off @Beman. Also as I believe it the exoterra tube is more for desert species that require a higher level of uvb than chameleons you will want either a reptisun 5% or an arcadia6% linear tube . Can you post pictures of your enclosure, lights down. @ MissSkittles can you or someone please add a husbandry form. Thanks
Oh yeah sorry i forgot to add the multivitamin is with d3 and beman confimed that it was ok in a different thread :) I'm not sure exactly what brand it is but i believe that is what they are called (long shape) I'm not too knowledged on lamps but i remember it was intended for chameleons

Last edited:
20210423_175036.jpg
20210423_175112.jpg
oh and this is what i mean by crooked spikes/casque do you think he's in need of a vet? Could it be mbd? He seems to eat, drink and move just fine

As long as supplementation and UVB lighting are on point you have no worries of MBD. Sometimes their casque will grow with a lean to it.

What is the UVB lighting that your using?
I have an exo terra terrarium so i use the long uvb lamps i wish i knew what brand it was but i didn't really do my reasearch and just bought a uvb lamp at a small reptile store all i remember is that it was intended for chameleons it's hard to explain what it looks like so I'll attach an image of the closest thing i can find of it. The next time i go buy some dubias I'll try to find it
20210423_181231.jpg

I have an exo terra terrarium so i use the long uvb lamps i wish i knew what brand it was but i didn't really do my reasearch and just bought a uvb lamp at a small reptile store all i remember is that it was intended for chameleons it's hard to explain what it looks like so I'll attach an image of the closest thing i can find of it. The next time i go buy some dubias I'll try to find it View attachment 299413
Ok so these bulbs I literally have never heard of before in the hobby.... Looks like they come out of china. Not sure I would trust it without a solarmeter 6.5 to verify readings Is it a T8 fixture or a T5? That looks like a T8 bulb. I went to the website for the maker of the bulb and it looks like they make both though. The main brands we use are Zoo med repti sun brand or Arcadia brand.

Ok so these bulbs I literally have never heard of before in the hobby.... Looks like they come out of china. Not sure I would trust it without a solarmeter 6.5 to verify readings Is it a T8 fixture or a T5? That looks like a T8 bulb. I went to the website for the maker of the bulb and it looks like they make both though. The main brands we use are Zoo med repti sun brand or Arcadia brand.
It definitely was not that brand but the lamp looks like that is what i meant, I'll update once i find it when going back to the reptile store and if i can't find it I'll probably just order online a new one since I'll have to change it soon anyway :) thanks for all the help

It definitely was not that brand but the lamp looks like that is what i meant, I'll update once i find it when going back to the reptile store and if i can't find it I'll probably just order online a new one since I'll have to change it soon anyway :) thanks for all the help
Ok well let me know what fixture type you have... There is a big difference with output on a T8 vs a T5 fixture. Also your distance to basking for the correct UVI level will be different between the two. So if you can look on your fixture/ bulb that is in there it should say T8 or T5. Then I can tell you what bulb strength you need and what distance.

Ok well let me know what fixture type you have... There is a big difference with output on a T8 vs a T5 fixture. Also your distance to basking for the correct UVI level will be different between the two. So if you can look on your fixture/ bulb that is in there it should say T8 or T5. Then I can tell you what bulb strength you need and what distance.
Oh yeah, The brand seems to be repti planet (common brand where i live) and the fixture says T5 I'm not sure what it means though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom