Burn on chin or scrape from face rubbing?

torizazu

Hey all! I have just acquired a 2 year old veiled chameleon, this morning I noticed he has a weird red patch on his chin that is black and scabby looking in the center that did not show up last night because he was super stressed and dark. Could this be a burn or a result of him being kept for who knows how long in a screen cage that was wayyyy too small for him (18x18x24)? I have never seen this before and thought I'd see of anyone has. Please let me know! Thanks... I'll post his other info as soon as I'm out of class today--just wanted to post this quickly for some opinions.

4e740898.jpg

whats your basking temp? basking bulb outside of cage? wattage of bulb and what kind? can i see more pics of the chameleon. any evidence of burns on the dorsal spine or casque?

Nope, there is nothing funky or indicative of burns on his casque or back spines. It is only on his chin. I am almost certain it is from him rubbing his face in the tiny cage he was in because today it is already less raw looking since he has been in his new huge enclosure :) plus apparently this face rubbing is a nervous behavior which makes sense since he was constantly being scared by a bunch of wild kids in his previous home, poor dude.

The hottest his basking spot has ever been since I have had him has been 96 degrees. My vet has said to put melafix on it with a q tip a few times a day... Which I have been doing of course...

Yeah thats def a rub mark. I would keep putting that topical ointment on it. It should be fine. After a few sheds you prob wont even see it anymore. That is if he quits that behavior. If he wont quit, you can switch him to a coated screen cage. (You can buy plastic coated screen in rolls) Ive never seen a commercially avail cage made out of it cuz the stuff is more exp than reg screen. Or you could free range him, which would prob be best if he wont quit the rubbing.

Thanks Texas panther man! :) thankfully he has stopped doing this since he was a lot more room now, phew!

Thats good news. What a shame to have a nice looking animal like that and not have the proper setup for him. Kudos, for taking him in and giving him the proper care he needs.

Yeah thats def a rub mark. I would keep putting that topical ointment on it. It should be fine. After a few sheds you prob wont even see it anymore. That is if he quits that behavior. If he wont quit, you can switch him to a coated screen cage. (You can buy plastic coated screen in rolls) Ive never seen a commercially avail cage made out of it cuz the stuff is more exp than reg screen. Or you could free range him, which would prob be best if he wont quit the rubbing.

I agree, I had a panther who did that a lot. He will be ok , just follow what Texas Panther Man suggested.

that is a strange spot for a rub imo. looking at the first pics he would have to have his head tilted up while doing this. seems a little unnatural. ive seen rub marks on the snout or lips. not under the chin. learn something new everyday :)

Looks like a burn on the casque, if it was hanging upside down, the chin could be a burn aswell. Imo treat both areas and make sure the lights are raised above the cage top. :)

1d0f1a12.jpg

1f806664.jpg

Is it the very top that looks burned to you? It's not different looking from the other parts of his casque on the top--the photo flash made it look kinda white and reddish/weird but really it's just green. I'll put melafix on anyways since he doesnt seem to mind or get irritated when I do so :) thanks!

Yes thats the bit I meant, looks unusual, very common place for a burn. Hard to see a great deal due the flash, but that part dosent look right in the shot the below it either.
I think he'll do well in your care.
Best wishes :)

Back
Top Bottom