bump on chameal's nose

Libren470

So recently I noticed a bump on my male veiled chameleons nose and it looks larger to me compared to about a week ago,what should i do? and does anyone know what this is or could be?

Could be parasites, burn, etc. Fill out this form to help us get a better picture of what's going on:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

~Conner D.

Chameleon Info:
veiled chameleon about 7 mths old and male
How long has it been in your care? 7 mths
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? a lot he loves to come out of his cage and walk around
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Superworms about 3 of them every other day to every two days always around 4pm or a bit earlier,we don't gut load them
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Every few feedings and rept-i-vite with d3 by zoomed
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? we use a mister and mist him about four or 5 times a day and yes he constantly drinks it off the sides of the cage and off of the leaves of plants.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no he's never been tested and like brown and white sometimes with a yellow tint
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. no

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 24x24x48
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? we use a basking lamp, 100 watt which he loves during the day and a red heating lamp,100 watt,at night which he loves then i shut it off when he gets ready to sleep.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 76 degrees if not a few degrees warmer some days and about 70 at night with a thermostat
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 60 and with a humidty thermometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? yes and one pothos and a palm like tree which is safe and non toxic
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? yes its near the heating vent about a foot away from it and its sitting on the floor and goes four feet high
Location - Where are you geographically located?
buffalo ny
Current Problem - bump on his nose

bump.jpg

I don't know about the bump, but I thought I'd throw this out there. You should stop feeding him superworms at every feeding. If I'm not mistaken, over use of supers (and other 'hard bodied' worms) can cause impaction. They should be used as a treat every now and then.

You should definitly be gutloading your feeders with fruits and vegies aswell.

Hi,

I was reading this post because our chamaleo has the same bump. I saw your picture; it looks identical to ours.
With our chamaleo it lookes like it is an abcess grown out of his .... (how do you call that little bump on his nose that belongs there?)
Since I study verterinary medicine I opened it myself and tried to flush it. Not very succesfull, because reptile abcesses are really tough. He is on AB for two days now (chloramphenicol local).

How is your chamaleo doing? And what are your results?
I'm very curious.

(sorry if my english is not entirely what it should be; I'm dutch)

Leonie...Chances are that unless you cleaned it out well enough even though its on antibiotics the abcess will come back. Did you do a culture and sensitivity test on the exudate?

Libren470...the bump is likely an abcess and it needs to be cleaned out properly, a culture and sensitivity test done on the exudate and the chameleon put on the appropriate antibiotic.

Concerning your husbandry....
Can you post a picture of the whole chameleon please?

You don't mention using a UVB light at all. The chameleon needs exposure to UVB so that it can make D3 so it can use the calcium in its system. You may have been lucky in that you have been giving it Reptivite with D3. However, D3 from supplements can build up in the system so caution is advised that you don't overdo it.

Your basking area should be in the mid to high 80'sF.

There should be no reason for heat (and definitely no reason for light) at night unless your room temperature drops below the mid 60'sF.

Merlin my male Veiled chameleon has this same exact bump in the exact same spot. When I got him the pet store said he was 6 months old. They couldn't even tell me if he was male or female which I found online so I don't really know how old he really is. I have had Merlin for 1 year and a half and he just recently started developing this bump. I was feeding him mostly super worms lately and have switch back to crickets as of yesterday. He is tearing them up!

What ever happened to your chameleon's bump? Did you take him to a vet to clean it out real good? Was it build up or parasites?

Regards,
Lisa & Merlin

Bumps like that are almost always an infection. I've never known of one to have parasites in it. As I said, you need a vet to clean it out properly and do a culture and sensitivity test on the exudate so that the chameleon can be put on an antibiotic.

bump on nose

My first chameleon but I heard they are considered exotic pets when it comes to the vet. Have you taken yours to the vet and if so can you shed some light on how much it may cost for something like this?

Thank you for you quick response yesterday!

My female veiled has the same bump, and I've been wondering what it is, too. It's not that big yet, but it's definitely noticeable. Everyone is saying its a growth/abscess. How can you be certain? Is it super dangerous to the chameleon, or can it live with it? I know humans get abscess's all the time and don't necessarily have to get them taken out.

I don't know about the bump, but I thought I'd throw this out there. You should stop feeding him superworms at every feeding. If I'm not mistaken, over use of supers (and other 'hard bodied' worms) can cause impaction. They should be used as a treat every now and then.

You should definitly be gutloading your feeders with fruits and vegies aswell.

I haven't seen this with supers. They are not as high chitin as mealworms (amount of chitin per body mass).

My female veiled has the same bump, and I've been wondering what it is, too. It's not that big yet, but it's definitely noticeable. Everyone is saying its a growth/abscess. How can you be certain? Is it super dangerous to the chameleon, or can it live with it? I know humans get abscess's all the time and don't necessarily have to get them taken out.

The problem with an abscess here is that it could be involved with the cham's nasal cavities or it originated there. And, all these structures are very close to the eyes...don't want to chance an infection or abscess developing behind an eye! Have a vet sample or biopsy the lump. Some are just the tip of a much larger iceberg. It won't go away on its own most likely.

My first chameleon but I heard they are considered exotic pets when it comes to the vet. Have you taken yours to the vet and if so can you shed some light on how much it may cost for something like this?

Thank you for you quick response yesterday!

It's going to be specific to your vet...very hard to guess.

mine just had his first vet appt. had an abscess in his mouth, caused swelling on the side of his head and eye. they cleaned it out and gave a shot of antibiotics. he will get three more shots in the next two weeks. the office visit was 52 dollars and the shot 18 dollars. they said they would only charge me for the shots when i return with him. i felt a whole lot better after going to the vet! hope everything turns out ok with yours!

Same random bump

We've had our veiled male chameleon for exactly 1 year and have been doing everything the exact same everyday. Changing the light every 12 hours, feeding (mixture of crickets and meal worms dusted in calcium and vitamix), misting, cleaning out cage, and he also developed the same bump on his nose. It has gotten larger over time (about 2 weeks) and he's not opening his mouth now as of today 12/27/13 and he's eye seem to be closed more often:(. We are taking him to the VET tomorrow morning for sure. We will keep you posted as to whether or not it's the same abscess in his mouth. Thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom