Bulging eyes and lethargic weak please help!

Hi there and welcome! If you can start your own thread and give us a little more info on your Cham then we can try to help you to.
Just exit out of here and then go to the top of the page and see where it says “thread title” and add your own title for your problem then it will give you a box where you can explain your chams problem and even add pictures because we will need pictures to help. And when you’re done just hit post.

Definitely need a good vet to evaluate her and what may be going on. She may have retained eggs which are causing all of her problems or it could be something else. Start with a vet visit and go from there.
Yeah, our local vet wants to see her again but unfortunately i dont think she knows a lot about chameleons :(

@jannb maybe can find you a vet with more Cham experience. Just hang on til she gets here.

I referred her to a good chameleon vet back near the beginning of the thread. My friend with many chameleons has used him for years. Another member here, with one of my babies, also uses him.

Did you see Dr. Harkewicz? Most vets don’t really know a lot about chameleons.
Just called, unfortunately he doesn’t work there anymore so they referred me to another office that sees exotics.. im really thinking the only option at this point is surgery and im just not even sure she would make it through so I have no idea how to decide, plus I’ve read that it costs around $1200 which is unaffordable for me… :(

Just called, unfortunately he doesn’t work there anymore so they referred me to another office that sees exotics.. im really thinking the only option at this point is surgery and im just not even sure she would make it through so I have no idea how to decide, plus I’ve read that it costs around $1200 which is unaffordable for me… :(
I realized I should have asked where he is practicing now, I will call back to ask them

If she’s eggbound she has to be seen asap even if you can’t afford surgery. Maybe the vet will find she’s not eggbound and has another problem that can be fixed. if it’s surgery he suggests then you can go with euthanasia instead. Either way you need to get her in there!

Yeah, our local vet wants to see her again but unfortunately I really dont think she knows much about chameleons :(
Did you see Dr. Harkewicz? Most vets don’t really know a lot about chameleons.
I called back and they informed me that Dr. Harkewicz has passed away……

If she’s eggbound she has to be seen asap even if you can’t afford surgery. Maybe the vet will find she’s not eggbound and has another problem that can be fixed. if it’s surgery he suggests then you can go with euthanasia instead. Either way you need to get her in there!
Yeah, I’ve already taken her in over a week ago and got anti biotics for her which i have administered for over 10 days but there has been no improvement, unfortunately my vet doesn’t seem to be very knowledgeable about chams and the vet who was reccommended is no longer working :( today she wont even move she’s just sitting with her eyes closed

Do you think it’s time to take her in for euthanasia? I really don’t want her to suffer and I can’t stand seeing her crawling around blind :( idk what to do
I think you need to take her to a vet and see what they say. It will depend on what's going on with her...I'm not a vet and can only speak from experience and whatbive learned along the way.

Ok, what could a vet do if she is egg bound…? I’m not sure I know of one near me, someone did recommend one about an hour away. And yes using the reptivite, I put about a table spoon in the cup but the drip was very small, im not sure how much she has drank or if she has drank any from that. And yes I am using about twice a month sometimes more though. And before she laid the eggs she ate about 4-6 crickets every other day, now she is only eating about 1every few days and hasn’t in a few days because of her eyes being closed…
If she's eggbound and she's not too weak, she can be spayed. If she drank much of the "vitamin water" you made for her she shouldn't be vitamin A deficient since it contains prEformed vitamin A IMHO.

If you over feed a veiled female once she is sexually mature you will end up with her having egglaying issues. 4 to 6 large crickets every other day is more than she needs.

Yeah, our local vet wants to see her again but unfortunately I really dont think she knows much about chameleons :(

I called back and they informed me that Dr. Harkewicz has passed away……

Oh, no. Let me find you another vet.
@Coop Did you know Dr. Harkewicz passed away? Know another really good vet up that way?

I had no idea he passed, unfortunately. Last time i went to the Berkeley vet, however, i believe he was out on holiday and it was one of his vet techs that ran Pete’s acupuncture that day. Eye issues are a terrifying occurrence, and unfortunately i do have experience with such. Flower suffered from something similar, and although it was in only one eye it did eventually take her life. A good vet is absolutely needed at this point, before it progresses beyond the point of no return.
photos of flowers progression, for reference

Attachments

• 5888666E-CA86-4743-A85A-0E5D18E56F83.jpeg
    5888666E-CA86-4743-A85A-0E5D18E56F83.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 3918929B-C52A-413B-A23A-C0B9B78B3388.jpeg
    3918929B-C52A-413B-A23A-C0B9B78B3388.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2A40D266-CE07-46B7-B1BD-3E2F44CA5BAB.jpeg
    2A40D266-CE07-46B7-B1BD-3E2F44CA5BAB.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 67
If she's eggbound and she's not too weak, she can be spayed. If she drank much of the "vitamin water" you made for her she shouldn't be vitamin A deficient since it contains prEformed vitamin A IMHO.

If you over feed a veiled female once she is sexually mature you will end up with her having egglaying issues. 4 to 6 large crickets every other day is more than she needs.
She is a panther chameleon but wow yea maybe we did feed her too much, I just thought she was still growing since she wasn’t even a year yet… do you think its possible that she has actually gotten too much vitamins? Now she is more actiVe but rubbing her bulging eyes on things again. Her eyes seem to be very irritating, maybe its not eggs after all. Ugh

She is a panther chameleon but wow yea maybe we did feed her too much, I just thought she was still growing since she wasn’t even a year yet… do you think its possible that she has actually gotten too much vitamins? Now she is more actiVe but rubbing her bulging eyes on things again. Her eyes seem to be very irritating, maybe its not eggs after all. Ugh
Also we were feeding her small-medium crickets. It might have been less because we did put most of them in her cage so she could hunt.

I had no idea he passed, unfortunately. Last time i went to the Berkeley vet, however, i believe he was out on holiday and it was one of his vet techs that ran Pete’s acupuncture that day. Eye issues are a terrifying occurrence, and unfortunately i do have experience with such. Flower suffered from something similar, and although it was in only one eye it did eventually take her life. A good vet is absolutely needed at this point, before it progresses beyond the point of no return.
Oh no this is so sad. How long was this progression? My girl looks like the first picture. Did you ever get any answers as to what it could have been?

Also, hi! :) We are in Sebastopol. I saw you are in Petaluma. Ive taken her to a vet in sebastopol that sees exotics but I dont think she really knows what’s going on

Back
Top Bottom