Bulb Size HELP!

waterpolowes

I bought two different size bulbs to test what one would be the best.

One is a 100W bulb zoomed bulb and the other is a 60W zoomed bulb.

The 100 was way to hot and put the basking spot at 100 and the 60w put the basking spot at 74.

Should I buy a regular 75w house bulb to see if that brings it up to 85 degrees, or leave the 60 w in?

Thanks Wes

what kind of cham do you have and how old is it? there are different basking temps for certain ages and species.

but the problem with the 60w is that I can tell it isn't hot enough for my little guy because he is sitting directly under it and tilting his body to absorb more heat. :confused:

I also have a Kammerflage baby and was sold the 100 watt with my chameleon. I got mine at 4 1/2 months old. I used the 100 but ended up switching out to a 60 cause my cham would bask but open his mouth and I knew it was too hot for him. Ideally the basking spot should be around 80 or so for a panther that young. Do you have it suspended above the cage or directly on top? You could try adjusting the branch or vine he basks on to try and get the temp around 80. Try the 75 watt and see if you can get the temp to 80 or 85 max.

That's not important, what we need is the species to help :)

I wouldn't bother buying "reptile bulbs" because they don't do anything a household bulb can't, and they're cheaper. For mine I rarely have to use anything stronger than a 60w bulb. Do you have a thermometer to keep track of what the temps are at?

If your cham is cold, he will sit tilted under the light to absorb more heat faster.

I didn't even think of moving the basking spot. Haha dang ok. Yea the little probe said it was at 74 and he was sitting sideways so I could tell he was trying to get warmer. The lamp is directly on the cage but the basking spot was around 7 inches below that so ill just move it up. Thanks a lot :)

yeah, just not too close so his back or head can't touch, or he could get a burn. You could always try the 75 watt and clamp it on the side and raise it some off the screen. That might work too!

I use a 75 watt on my cage and was adjusting the temp by moving the branches up and down and to adjust the distance from the light. I recently purchased a helix thermostat and must say my chams seem to love me for it. Johnson makes a thermostat thats pretty bullet proof as well.

Back
Top Bottom