building my own viv

lisa1

hi im new here an im just starting to build my own viv from a old wardrobe the wood is already melamind but do i need to add extra coating of some type of waterproofing as i want to put expanding foam on top of the wood as a background any ideas or help would be ace as i really want to make this right and last as long as possible as my other viv is fallin apart as i only used gloss as a water proofing lol thanks

If your retrofitting an old piece of furniture, you'd be best off sanding down the entire thing, then restain and coat with polyurathane. I'd avoid the foam. Most of the brands I've used are toxic and do not hold up to water exposure. And trying to waterproof the foam will usually cause a reaction that can get messy.

k has any one got any good ideas they would like to share im desperate to start and finish this viv as soon as possible please my other viv is rubbish it's mainly the waterproofing im struggling with could i not foam the back and mix pva and sand and flick it at the foam to seal it and get some waterproof paint for the sides?

Im doing the same thing, im experimenting with some clear coat on the inside walls to make it more water resistant. I added a bottom sheet of plexi-glass on an angle leading to a drain to let water flow out. I wanted to make the background some Styrofoam rocks, Im testing covering ti with some non-toxic truck bed liner. Ill let you know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom